Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

[1/87th (HO) scale] Nike Hercules Missile & Launcher

<< < (2/5) > >>

Story:
Youse is too kind.

1) Thought about this some, seems to me all those labels and unit insignia were "keep busy" projects for the ADA troops suffering from terminal boredom.  My guess is that the missiles were shipped from the factory bone white, so I'll address that with Missile #2.

2) Calling Missile # 1 complete.  Display base is a 70's vintage (I think) cork and dark stained wood coaster carefully given a OD green overspray.
Missile contrail is a stiff insulated wire, J-hooked through a tiny hole in the coaster and locked into a second hole on the underside (no glue needed, can do a pic if anyone is really bored and curious). Contrail courtesy the wife's medicine cabinet. Marble top of drum table represents the curvature of the earth.

Fun fact - the missile bobs easily, like one of those Tiki-bar flamingos. Appropriate for the MAD MEN era, no? Ice cube is flouride-free.

I call it the Tupolev Chaser

Bottle for scale.

I know chasers are supposed to follow a real drink, but with Jim Beam you're so damn 'merican you don't need anything else. AmIright?

Story:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on January 28, 2021, 04:27:01 AM ---...that Nike missile site made me want to take up meth, move into an old trailer park and join Facebook...

--- End quote ---

You have enough hobbies already, Frank - stay focused.

Frank3k:
Jim Beam Nike rocket fuel - ask for it by name!

kim margosein:
I lived off and on in the Chicago area from about 1962 to 2010.  I vaguely remember the missile belts.  The various buildings on the sites were made of concrete blocks, and although they were nondescript, were I to see one I would recognize it in an instant.

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: kim margosein on January 29, 2021, 11:40:28 AM ---I lived off and on in the Chicago area from about 1962 to 2010.  I vaguely remember the missile belts.  The various buildings on the sites were made of concrete blocks, and although they were nondescript, were I to see one I would recognize it in an instant.

--- End quote ---
I know what you mean, I remember seeing some as a Cub Scout when we lived around Chicago (moved from there to Texas in the summer of 1962).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version