Modelling > Informal Lockdown/COVID-19 GB

Real World Op Granby Tornado ZA466 - Done

(1/5) > >>

Buzzbomb:
The backstory is that the Airfix 1/48 Panavia Tornado GR1 has been in my stash since.... well a looong time. Because lets face it, the kit does not look that good. I have done one before as a GR4 (before they released the kit of course, as usual) but that was based on the Heller kit which to all intents is the same.

Soooo.. cruising around for some inspiration this popped up somewhere

During Op Granby in the Gulf, Tornado ZA466 had a landing incident where the runway arrestor barrier at Tabuk was inadvertently raised and this aircraft hit it on landing. The crew punched out and the aircraft continued on a ways, did a toes, knees, nose and had a small fire, which the local emergency crews clearly got on top of quickly.
What is interesting is the the aircraft is relatively intact, well for a modern aviation incident anyway.
So I figured that I would have a crack at that scene. Once your have the rego details there are a number of pix of the aircraft out there in the interwebnets, so enough has been gathered to have a go.

So to work.. and yes the kit is still not good, with some rather agricultural engineering and fit.
Basic proof of concept and some hacking

Detailing out some of the sprung open doors. You cannot see much in there, so something relatively close will be good enough for this build. If you have shares in Tamiya Putty, you are in clover. This kit is a PSR nightmare so far.

Fit adjustment appliances applied to get bits that are supposed to be together, together.

I started this build log to keep myself honest.
Greg.. you are in the know.. what does the floor mount of a modern combat jet look like when the Ejector seat is not fitted ? My googlefoo has failed me on that one, so I am making stuff up.

Jeffry Fontaine:
Probably the best COA to take with that Airfix Tornado kit.  May your hands be steady and your patience long as you set to your task. 

GTX_Admin:
Looking forward to this.

finsrin:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on August 05, 2020, 03:26:39 AM ---Looking forward to this.

--- End quote ---

Me too....

Robomog:

--- Quote from: finsrin on August 05, 2020, 04:16:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on August 05, 2020, 03:26:39 AM ---Looking forward to this.

--- End quote ---

Me too....

--- End quote ---

My attention,  you have it !

Mog
>^-.-^<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version