Current and Finished Projects > Sea

Artesania Latina Cutty Sark

(1/26) > >>

kpnuts:
Hi all i bought this off my brother (he decided it was too frustrating for him) there are a few problems to sort out on it (I need to strip the decking off and square the frame up , it's a bit warped) he took the planking off which has saved me a job (he bought some really thin wood for the planking as he struggled with the supplied wood but it's so thin I can see it disappearing when sanded do I'm going to use the supplied wood) here are some pics, I've managed to get the deck off fairly easily getting the wood off the deck and squaring the frame may be quite a bit harder.
This will be a very slow build.

I think the pins hes used in the transom are way out of scale.

kpnuts:
Hi all well I've removed the deck planking squared up the frame and are attached the front decking. I thought I would get away with doing nothing to the rear deck but on closer inspection I think he put the last 2 bulkhead the wrong way round since the second to last is narrower than the last (the phrase one step forward 2 back comes to mind) anyway I managed to get the rear deck off now I'm not sure what to do the frames seem to be impossible to unglue, any suggestions (I've tried steaming over a kettle but they won't budge) would it hurt the plywood if I soaked the stern in a bucket over night.

Old Wombat:
Fairly good chance it will damage the plywood, as it will soak up water & swell. I'd also hazard a fairly good guess that either the water or the swelling of the wood will damage the adhesive between the layers & you'll get them de-laminating.

kpnuts:
Hi all corrected the bulkheads next problem, now the side panels are correctly installed you can see the stern is too shallow so I will probably build this up with wood filler.

Old Wombat:
You ever get that feeling you'd be better off tossing this in the bin & starting afresh? ??? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version