Modelling > 2018 Clear your workbench GB

The Silver Spitfire - Finished

(1/6) > >>

Robomog:
Hi All

Throwing a second hat into the ring.

I recently purchased a stash of spare parts off evilbay and amongst the parts was a box containing mainly Spitfire cast offs which included a part started second generation Airfix mk 9 Spitfire. The wings and tailplanes had already been glued to the fuselage and also the pilot and his seat.

Unfortunately the pilot seat was not of the kit and had been glued in too high so the canopy wouldn't fit, also the wings were horizontal and not at a dihedral as it should be (6 degrees I think).

If I can get the wings off and the pilot out I will try and model "The Silver Spitfire" as described in the excellent book of the same name by Tom Neil.

I'm not going to attempt to correct any of the inaccuracies of the kit but I may substitute some parts from other kits to make it look better.

Here's the starting point, the scratch marks on the wing root are mine as I attempt to part the wing from the fuselage without causing too much damage.............

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Thanks for Looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Jeffry Fontaine:
Subjecting the kit to extreme cold temperatures might assist in breaking the adhesive down a bit.  Try it by putting the model in the freezer overnight.

Robomog:
Thanks Jeffry, I will try that tonight.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Robomog:
Great advice Jeffry, putting it in the freezer stiffened up the plastic and stopped it bending, a few more knife cuts and a bit of careful persuasion and it all came apart.

Raided the box of bits and I think I've got a complete kit here, so the Silver Spitfire is go!

Here's the parts I'm going to use ..................

20180621_192750 by Robomog, on Flickr

I've treated it to a decent pilot figure and seat, and made a control panel,  I also have a decent pair of wheels but will hold fire on a decision to use them in case they appear overscale. I would have liked to have replaced the prop but did not have a spare in my stash.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Brian da Basher:
That's a great start and some nice prep work, Mog!

I like what you said about not attempting to correct the kit's inaccuracies. Very wise.

Brian da Basher

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version