Modelling > The Scottish Independence GB

Scottish Skorpions (Frogfoot) - "The Lochness Monster"

(1/4) > >>

Logan Hartke:
As per usual, click on the profile to see it at a larger size.

Wow, here's an aircraft type that I haven't touched in a long time!  And boy does it show...  So much I'd redo on this one if I had the time.  Anyway, no time for the backstory tonight, so you will all get the full write-up later, hopefully tomorrow night, may not be until next week.

Short version, the scheme is based on the Coastal Command aircraft flown by No. 612 Squadron in WWII.  The aircraft is being operated by a recently independent Royal Scottish Air Force in a not-too-distant hypothetical future.  I'll also post the versions of the roundel in a larger size when I do the full write-up.  I hope you all like it!

Cheers,

Logan

Tophe:
Pleasant profile, thanks.

GTX_Admin:
Looks good.  I am looking forward to the backstory for this one.

Claymore:

--- Quote from: Logan Hartke on November 09, 2013, 02:06:49 PM ---I'll also post the versions of the roundel in a larger size when I do the full write-up. 

--- End quote ---

Nice - the Lion Rampant from the Scottish Royal Standard - a good choice.  :)

Logan Hartke:
So, I'm not too concerned about the details of the transition, but in this scenario, Scotland would end up as a constitutional monarchy, like Canada and Australia.  I did this mainly to keep the roundels and squadrons consistent.  So, as for the Skorpion, though, my idea was that a newly independent Scotland would have a need for an aircraft with a good maritime strike capability that could be used in the air policing role if necessary.  As such, this L-239 has wing tanks, a Litening III targeting pod, Paveway IIs, Mavericks, and AMRAAMs.  It could be fitted with more dedicated anti-ship missiles, if necessary.  I expected that Scotland would have the lineage of at least No. 602, 603, and 612 squadrons transferred with its independence.  In this scenario, Scotland gives 612 Sqn. an active military role again, equipping it with the L-239 in the anti-shipping/strike role.  Oh, by the way, can anyone that speaks Scots Gaelic tell me if I got the translation for Royal Scottish Air Force right?  I tried.

As for the roundel itself, it definitely pays homage to the RAF's roundel and is done in the style of Australia's and Canada's roundels, as well.  The lion is a major difference, however, and it's done in the style of the kangaroo in the RAAF roundel, kiwi in RNZAF roundel, and springbok in the old SAAF roundel.  I know the thistle may be the more appropriate national symbol, but it seemed less martial for a military insignia compared to the lion.  The standard Scottish lion is a bit...intricate for a roundel, so I took the somewhat simplified but still appropriate lion from British Caledonian's logo.  The other big difference is the color blue.  This lighter blue comes from Scottish Saltire instead of the darker blue on the Union Jack.

In the basic, full color variant above, it's seen with the full roundel and Scottish flag as the fin flash.

In this variant, the colors are retained, but with the omission of the fin flash, the same angled cross is overlaid on the roundel.  I really like the way this looked.

Finally, here's the low vis roundel.  It's a variant of the roundel with the cross.  You can see this on the upperside of the wings on the Skorpion profile, too.  When I design my own roundels, this is a pet peeve of mine.  I like a roundel that retains its unique look when all the color is removed and this does that very well, I think.

Hope you all like it!

Cheers,

Logan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version