Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130020 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »
Worked on the Trumpeter Strv 103C what if a little today. I changed my mind on the RWS. It originally had a different RWS with a .50cal but I thought it needed a bigger weapon so I put an M197 3 barrel 20mm cannon on it. I used the 20mm gun breech and ammo cans from the AFV German Wiesel 20mm gun turret. I cut off the barrel and added the M197 metal barrels.

Here is the original RWS with the .50cal.

Here is the new RWS with the M197.

This is the AFV Wiesel kit I took the gun breech and ammo cans from. I will need to find a new turret for the Wiesel now.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2021, 12:03:30 AM »
Not going to get much "BRRRT!" time with that tiny ammo can but it looks great! :D 8)

You could use a CDL (Canal Defence Light) turret from an M3 Grant on the Wiesel!

Or make it a racing tank like Claymore's Chieftain;

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7249.25

or Leopard 2;

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7249.50

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:06:52 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2021, 01:33:18 AM »
Those racer tanks look really cool! I could possibly do that with the Wiesel.

Yes, the M197 would more than likely need bigger ammo cans so I took into consideration what you and a couple other people said about needing the bigger ammo cans. Unfortunately I don't have anything I could use so I switched it back to the original single barrel from the AFV Wiesel kit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:56:30 AM by Ramba »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2021, 03:50:59 AM »
... I switched it back to the original single barrel from the AFV Wiesel kit.

Good call. And, personally, I prefer the look of the Wiesel's Rh202  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2021, 04:35:36 AM »
... I switched it back to the original single barrel from the AFV Wiesel kit.

Good call. And, personally, I prefer the look of the Wiesel's Rh202  :smiley:

Thanks! I prefer the M197 but Old Wombat was right, it would need much bigger ammo cans for the rate of fire that the M197 has. I didn't like the look of the original 105mm cannon on the Strv 103C so that is why I made it into a what if and put the RWS with the .50cal but thought it would need a little more punch so went with the 20mm instead. Hopefully this is my last change hahahahahaha!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2021, 06:18:34 AM »
I third the move back to single barrel.

The whole S Tank build is really good, love the shape and think the platform would actually be quite an effective vehicle

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
I was rather more hoping you'd go with a flexible feed-chute to give the tri-barrel more "BRRRT!" time. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2021, 04:36:56 AM »
Dragon 1/35 M1A1 with Voyager upgrade set. Still a long way to go before finishing it. I finally got some time to paint today and was only able to get this one done. Not long after I packed up the kit to bring inside, we had a thunderstorm with torrential downpour and still raining right now at 16:36 hours so no more painting today.

This will be a USMC M1A1 used in Afghanistan.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Hmmm? Foldy-metal bits? ???

Braver man than me, I always seem to screw those things up. :icon_crap:

Indy-link tracks are my limit! :-\

Offline Ramba

« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »
Hmmm? Foldy-metal bits? ???

Braver man than me, I always seem to screw those things up. :icon_crap:

Indy-link tracks are my limit! :-\

I have a set of rubber tracks I got from an Academy M1A2 kit. I haven't tried fitting the tracks yet so don't know if they fit or not but praying to the model gods they do hahahaha! The Academy rubber tracks did come with some indy plastic track links though but only four parts that snap together to hold the rubber tracks together.

Yes, lots and lots and lots of foldy metal bits. I got the Voyager Modern USMC M1A1 upgrade set. It also included some resin bits and metal tubes for the smoke dischargers.

The last set of PE was for the belly armor. Crime scene investigators would love these pieces as you can see I left my finger prints all over them hahahaha!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2021, 11:19:26 PM »
Working on a couple Italeri 1/35 HMMWV's. One is the M998A1 IED version and the other is the M998 Command Vehicle. Both will be USMC vehicles. I started the IED version back in 2018 and the command vehicle was started last year. I added Tamiya M1025 brush guards, raised exhaust pipes and raised intakes from the spares box. The command vehicle kit had the early style mirrors so I switched them out for the late style mirrors from a Legend resin set.

I finally got them primed a couple months ago. As you can see, I missed some areas with the primer because I ran out of primer while doing them. I did eventually finish priming them though.

I got some of the green painted over the weekend but it started to rain so I didn't get to finish. The interior of the command vehicle won't be seen anyway as it will be fully covered. Most of the parts are only dry fitted. They will be glued once everything is painted. Not sure when I will get the camo done. I can only paint outside and the weather is extremely hot and humid and also raining on and off every day. The day I painted the green on these two, it was 94F with 98% humidity. I will have to wait till the temps cool down to go back outside to paint.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:22:06 PM by Ramba »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2021, 12:11:12 AM »
Those Italeri HMMWVs are great kits, especially for the price.
The Academy track links sound like a good idea for the rubber tracks. I hope they work out.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2021, 08:42:36 PM »
Those Italeri HMMWVs are great kits, especially for the price.
The Academy track links sound like a good idea for the rubber tracks. I hope they work out.

Thanks! The Italeri HMMWV's are decent kits and build up nicely.

I did a quick test fit of the Academy rubber tracks on the Dragon M1A1 and the Academy tracks fit the drive sprocket perfectly but are a tiny bit too long. I might have to trim off at least one or possibly two links to get them to the correct length. If I cut the rubber tracks though, I won't be able to connect them the way Academy has you do it with the plastic link parts. I don't care if the tracks/wheels are moveable as I don't play with my models hahahahaha! Once I cut them to length, I will just glue the tracks in place.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2021, 08:47:30 PM »
Last weekend I also got the Academy Merkava Mk.III what if painted. I used the Model Master IDF sand for the original Merkava Mk.I. The sand looks a bit dark to me. I don't really like it that much. I am thinking of changing it to a lighter shade. I will have to look through my paints to see what shades I have.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2021, 12:55:45 AM »
Your Chariot looks very good.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2021, 02:18:43 AM »
Your Chariot looks very good.  :smiley:

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2021, 02:21:01 AM »
I repainted the Merkava Mk.III what if and I like the new sand color a lot better. I used Model Master enamel US Army/US Marines Sand. I left some of the reactive armor blocks in the older sand and you can see the two different sand. I painted the RWS FS34102 Green. I forgot to paint the wheels in the new sand though but I am not going back out to do them so will just leave them in the old IDF sand like on the reactive armor blocks.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2021, 07:24:31 AM »
I repainted the Merkava Mk.III what if and I like the new sand color a lot better...

Looking good! The new colour is more greyish, less tan  :smiley:  Once the skirts are on, the different road wheel colour probably won't be all that noticeable. On the other hand, wouldn't be the first armoured vehicle with new paint up top but the undersides were ignored  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2021, 09:59:11 AM »
I did a quick test fit of the Academy rubber tracks on the Dragon M1A1 and the Academy tracks fit the drive sprocket perfectly but are a tiny bit too long. I might have to trim off at least one or possibly two links to get them to the correct length. If I cut the rubber tracks though, I won't be able to connect them the way Academy has you do it with the plastic link parts. I don't care if the tracks/wheels are moveable as I don't play with my models hahahahaha! Once I cut them to length, I will just glue the tracks in place.

Can you do like a real tank and adjust the tension by adjusting the drive or idler wheels?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »
Looking good! The new colour is more greyish, less tan  :smiley:  Once the skirts are on, the different road wheel colour probably won't be all that noticeable. On the other hand, wouldn't be the first armoured vehicle with new paint up top but the undersides were ignored  ;)

Thanks! I actually painted the road wheels yesterday and also painted the reactive armor blocks as well so everything is one color overall sand now except the RWS which is still green. I wasn't happy with the two tone sand.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2021, 07:33:52 PM »
Can you do like a real tank and adjust the tension by adjusting the drive or idler wheels?

The tension cannot be adjusted. The pegs to attach the wheels are all fixed positions. With the side skirts on, if I let the tracks overlap on top or cut them too short you won't see the top of the tracks anyway. I just hope they stay in place when glued that way.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2021, 07:45:00 PM »
So I actually painted the road wheels yesterday and also painted the reactive armor blocks as well so everything is one color overall sand now except the RWS which is still green. I wasn't happy with the two tone sand. Here is what it looks like as of today. I think it looks much better now in the overall sand. I am not sure on the antenna fitment just yet so haven't mounted and or painted any. I just haven't come to a decision. I don't want to put the DUKE antennas on every single armor build so still thinking about what to do. I have a lot of regular US Army and USMC armor that will get the DUKE antennas so this one will get something different.

Here are the road wheels also repainted in the same sand as the turret and hull. In the top of the photo, you can see the wheels still in the old IDF sand. You won't see that side of the wheels anyway. They were left in the IDF sand because it started to thunderstorm again while I was painting so I had to once again pack up and take everything inside before I got to those particular wheels. As I said, you won't see that side of the wheels anyway.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2021, 02:55:32 AM »
Got a light gloss coat on the Merkava today. My airbrush was giving me a headache today. It kept clogging and when it wasn't clogged, it was spewing water. I have a moisture trap and even when the moisture trap was emptied, the airbrush still spewed water all over so I gave up. It only has a very light gloss coat on it. Next step I will be using an AK filter and some AK streaking effects. For now, here it is with the light gloss coat. The gloss made the sand a tiny bit darker.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2021, 03:31:56 PM »
Looking good! 8)

4 x Merkavas (I-Hybrid - to - IV) in the stash, waiting for the Namer to appear, then they'll all join the Royal Australian Marines. ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
Great mix of AFV's coming along