Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 134083 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2021, 06:58:34 AM »
... I wouldn't want to be the guy handling it afterwards though hahahahahaha!

No! Especially if it gets slung back over that hot exhaust pipe after 'use'  :o

Common sense and unit SOP, as well as in the interest of personal hygiene would dictate that the 'crapper' have a liner (ie: plastic bag) to collect and hold the waste.  Whether that was by digging a hole and burying it in the desert sand (unlikely due to ecological impact) or retaining the waste in the bag for disposal at a later time and date at a designated waste collection point (more likely). 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2021, 07:22:49 AM »
Just hammering them out Ramba.

Nice work all the way along

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »
Cooking with gas, man! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2021, 08:25:24 PM »

Common sense and unit SOP, as well as in the interest of personal hygiene would dictate that the 'crapper' have a liner (ie: plastic bag) to collect and hold the waste.  Whether that was by digging a hole and burying it in the desert sand (unlikely due to ecological impact) or retaining the waste in the bag for disposal at a later time and date at a designated waste collection point (more likely). 

The Marine I spoke with didn't detail the specifics. All he said was that the wooden box was used as a toilet so they didn't have to squat on the ground. I am sure there are specific personal hygiene criteria they have to maintain even in the field but even so, I still don't want to handle the wooden box after multiple uses hahahahahaha!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
Cooking with gas, man! :smiley:
Just hammering them out Ramba.

Nice work all the way along

Yeah, I built up quite a few last year and want to get them at least painted this year. They all still need weathering and quite a few other parts assembled then a flat coat before being completed though. I only get a limited time to paint in the summer as I can only paint outside so I need to get as many painted as possible before the window closes. I can do the weathering inside so as long as I can get a gloss coat on them as well before summer ends. Right now I am more interested in trying to get as many painted as possible then hoping to try to get the gloss coat on later before summer ends.

As you can see, most of the ones I painted are regular vehicles. I didn't get too many of the what ifs painted yet as they take a lot longer to decide on how I want them so most of the what ifs are still in the decision making and building process. I will more than likely make a final decision on how I want them and finish building them over the winter and hopefully get to paint them next year. So many projects and so little time.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:46 PM »
At least I can use the garage for painting all year 'round! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »

We have a garage too but I can't leave the door open for the air circulation because a lot of little critters will enter and be running around and or flying around in the garage. I can only paint outside which limits my painting. Unfortunately, I can't paint today as it rained last night into this morning and the area I sit at is still soaking wet. I have to wait till it dries out which might not be until tomorrow if it doesn't rain again but that's not looking good either as the weather forecast says 95% chance of rain again today. I wanted to at least get one more model primed today but the weather isn't cooperating.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »

We have a garage too but I can't leave the door open for the air circulation because a lot of little critters will enter and be running around and or flying around in the garage. I can only paint outside which limits my painting. Unfortunately, I can't paint today as it rained last night into this morning and the area I sit at is still soaking wet. I have to wait till it dries out which might not be until tomorrow if it doesn't rain again but that's not looking good either as the weather forecast says 95% chance of rain again today. I wanted to at least get one more model primed today but the weather isn't cooperating.

That sounds interesting! :D

I don't need to open up my garage, there's more than enough airflow with it closed up. ::)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »

That sounds interesting! :D

I don't need to open up my garage, there's more than enough airflow with it closed up. ::)

I live in the mountains in the woods and have a lot of regular squirrels, flying squirrels and chipmunks in the yard. They will run into the garage if you leave the door open too long. We also have field mice and other critters like porcupines, skunks, groundhogs, raccoons, snakes, frogs and toads that like to wander through the yard. There are also bobcats, coyotes, foxes and bears. The only ones I really worry about while out in the yard are the coyotes and bears, those will attack you.

Here are some photos I took of the animals in the yard.

Red Fox

Black Bear and Cubs. If I see this in the yard I have to drop everything and get into the house as quickly as possible.

White-tailed Deer Buck

Wild Turkey

Toad

Frog

Offline Ramba

« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2021, 11:08:26 PM »
Forgot about snakes. We get snakes in the yard too. This one is not poisonous but we do get poisonous ones as well.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2021, 12:34:30 AM »
Those are great pictures!

Can't you use a spray booth in the garage? If the garage has a window, you can put the vent there while the spray booth is in use.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2021, 01:07:20 AM »
The Marine I spoke with didn't detail the specifics. All he said was that the wooden box was used as a toilet so they didn't have to squat on the ground. I am sure there are specific personal hygiene criteria they have to maintain even in the field but even so, I still don't want to handle the wooden box after multiple uses hahahahahaha!
Probably one of those life experiences that one tends to not want to remember in good detail beyond 'it happened' and move on to more interesting things to dwell on.  :smiley: 
Your menagerie of local wildlife rivals and exceeds what I have seen here in my own back yard but best of all, you are located out of town surrounded by nature.  Before I dropped and cleared away all of the trees surrounding my house I had a wonderful orchestra of tree frogs to keep me entertained with their unique chirping noises which is one of those little things that makes you appreciate being out in the country. 

Also appreciated only too well the issues you have with painting your projects.  I have to do mine on the front or back porch when there is no wind or rain and often wish I had a dedicated work shop to deal with this obstacle. 

Okay back to the modeling! 

That Legend Mk.19 weapons mount and pedastal kit has been on my want list for a while now.  Both it and the M2 Browning HB sets to be exact.  The only issue was finding the things at a decent price. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:20:24 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2021, 02:01:14 AM »
Those are great pictures!

Can't you use a spray booth in the garage? If the garage has a window, you can put the vent there while the spray booth is in use.

Thanks! No window in the garage. The garage is fully enclosed except for the garage door that opens to the outside and the one in the back of the garage to the house.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2021, 02:10:00 AM »
Probably one of those life experiences that one tends to not want to remember in good detail beyond 'it happened' and move on to more interesting things to dwell on.  :smiley: 
Your menagerie of local wildlife rivals and exceeds what I have seen here in my own back yard but best of all, you are located out of town surrounded by nature.  Before I dropped and cleared away all of the trees surrounding my house I had a wonderful orchestra of tree frogs to keep me entertained with their unique chirping noises which is one of those little things that makes you appreciate being out in the country. 

Also appreciated only too well the issues you have with painting your projects.  I have to do mine on the front or back porch when there is no wind or rain and often wish I had a dedicated work shop to deal with this obstacle. 

Okay back to the modeling! 

That Legend Mk.19 weapons mount and pedastal kit has been on my want list for a while now.  Both it and the M2 Browning HB sets to be exact.  The only issue was finding the things at a decent price.

I hate having to go outside every time I need to paint something. I have to pack the kit and all the paints and cleaning supplies and carry them outside. This is all depending on the weather. Living in the mountains we get a lot of rain in the spring and summer so I have to plan each time I need to go out to paint. I to constantly check the weather forecast to make sure it isn't too hot and humid or going to rain. Sometimes even when the forecast says nice and sunny with 0% chance of rain, we still get rain.

I went outside and primed the DUMVEE today. It took me 2 hours to prime just the one DUMVEE. It should take maybe 20 minutes the most. The airbrush kept clogging and spitting water every 5 seconds. I had to stop every 5 seconds to either clean the clogged airbrush or clean the water that splattered all over the model. I have a moisture trap and keep it emptied to make sure I don't get too much moisture collecting in it. It has a release valve to let the moisture out. The primer was thinned and very milky to watery so no reason for it to keep clogging. I am guessing just being outside is why I keep getting so much moisture/water coming out of the airbrush. It is not consistent temperature like inside so I am just guessing it is from being outside. This is very discouraging and making me want to give up models all together.

Here is the Legend 1/35 M2 Browning .50cal HMG on Pedestal mount. It is a bit pricey but this is the cheapest I found it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173448914940?hash=item28625c67fc:g:K1gAAOSwlulbZIkB

Here is the Mk.19. It is a couple dollars more. Not sure why but when I got both the Mk.19 and the .50 with the pedestal mounts, they were both the same price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202315454379?hash=item2f1af0d7ab:g:o7EAAOSwJ-pa~Voh

Offline Ramba

« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2021, 02:17:09 AM »
Besides making models, wildlife photography is my next favorite hobby. I favor the birds more though but I will photograph any wildlife if the opportunity exists.
Here are some birds taken in the yard. These are just a few examples of the many different birds that visit.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (male)

Red-headed Woodpecker. You can't tell the difference between the males and females as they are not sexually dimorphic, Sexual Dimorphism is when the males and females look different.

Scarlet Tanager (male)

Great-crested Flycather with a butterfly ready to feed the chicks.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (male)

If anyone is interested in more of my wildlife photos, please visit my Flickr page.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39797696@N00/

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2021, 06:45:40 AM »
... If anyone is interested in more of my wildlife photos, please visit my Flickr page.

Excellent stuff. Loved the bird shots but the black bear cubs were great too  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #266 on: July 29, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »
Very cool! 8)

Living in a (small) town/village I don't get much in the way of macro-fauna wandering past the house, not that we have any really big stuff in Aus, anyway, but I do get the odd lizard, gecko, possum, etc., passing through, & there are koalas, 'roos & wallabies in the area but they tend not to come into town, & a fair number of birds. Also the odd introduced pests, like rabbits, foxes & rats. There are snakes around, there are always snakes around, it's Australia, but I haven't seen any. I hear, from listening carefully, about four types of frog in the area, due to the creek just down the hill.

Weather-wise, I'm thinking I prefer living here, though! ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »
... If anyone is interested in more of my wildlife photos, please visit my Flickr page.

Excellent stuff. Loved the bird shots but the black bear cubs were great too  ;D

Thanks! I must have taken close to a thousand photos of the bears. The mom and cubs spent almost the whole summer in the yard that year.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #268 on: July 29, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »
Very cool! 8)

Living in a (small) town/village I don't get much in the way of macro-fauna wandering past the house, not that we have any really big stuff in Aus, anyway, but I do get the odd lizard, gecko, possum, etc., passing through, & there are koalas, 'roos & wallabies in the area but they tend not to come into town, & a fair number of birds. Also the odd introduced pests, like rabbits, foxes & rats. There are snakes around, there are always snakes around, it's Australia, but I haven't seen any. I hear, from listening carefully, about four types of frog in the area, due to the creek just down the hill.

Weather-wise, I'm thinking I prefer living here, though! ;)

Thanks! I would love to visit Australia to see the Koalas. I would love to see the other animals too but those Koalas are so cool. I have heard about the snakes there and while I would like to see them as well, I think I would mostly avoid them hahahahaha!  Yeah, your weather is definitely nicer than mine. I would be able to paint outdoors all year long.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #269 on: July 29, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
I eventually got the Tamiya SF DUMVEE primed yesterday but you can see some tiny spots were missed. I didn't bother going over them because I was so annoyed about the airbrush clogging and splattering moisture all over. It will be painted in overall sand so those bare spots will get covered anyway but without the primer under it. I used the Badger Stylnrez primer. It lays down nicely, very smooth but only when it comes out the airbrush though. For now, everything is only dry fitted until I can get the stowage painted and the body painted overall sand.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2021, 09:54:09 PM »
@Ramba - Apparently there was a requirement for something like this and the end result was an actual fold-up cardboard crapper developed and subsequently made available through the supply chain to perform the same function but now with a price tag and NSN...

I just found this photo of a US Marine handling the wooden box. It looks like it is foldable in this photo. Also looks like just two wires wrapped around the box. The horror, he is handling it with bare hands hahahahaha!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »
Looks good in black! 8)

As long as he washes and/or sanitises his hands he should be fine! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2021, 01:56:38 AM »
Today I got the Tamiya M1025 converted to the SF DUMVEE painted in the overall sand. As usual, most parts are only dry fitted. I started hand painting the stowage too. I can't finish the kit until I get the stowage fully painted. The rear roll bar that the roof sits on and the side cargo bed fences can't be glued on yet until the stowage is completed. The rear roll bar fits over the stowage and if I glue the roll bar in place then I can't fit the stowage as the stowage has to be inserted first. I am hoping to finish painting the stowage this weekend. It is very time consuming as you need so many different colors for all the different items. Hopefully I can get that done over the weekend then possibly get the DUMVEE gloss coated on Monday, weather permitting.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2021, 04:17:33 AM »
@Ramba - Did this version of the HMMWV DMV have the left rear passenger seat removed and replaced with a rack to hold ammunition boxes?  That is the one pertinent feature that I recall of the original HMMWV modifications to turn it into the DMV for 5th SFG(A) when I was assigned to that unit.  Those vehicles were not as pimped out as the later DMV models (this was ca 1989-1990).

Offline Ramba

« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2021, 04:49:37 AM »
@Ramba - Did this version of the HMMWV DMV have the left rear passenger seat removed and replaced with a rack to hold ammunition boxes?  That is the one pertinent feature that I recall of the original HMMWV modifications to turn it into the DMV for 5th SFG(A) when I was assigned to that unit.  Those vehicles were not as pimped out as the later DMV models (this was ca 1989-1990).

I don't know much about the Army HMMWV's. I am more interested in the USMC versions but the DMV and M1113 GMV are interesting Army variants so I am building one of each. This particular DMV I had gotten second hand and was already started. The original owner left the two rear seats in but I removed them to fit the stowage. You have to remove the two rear seats for the stowage piece to fit. It is one solid piece of resin. I got the stowage piece from a friend. It was supposed to be the one from Black Dog but the one I got looks like a recast.

The particular one I am somewhat modeling mine of has the two rear doors on so not sure if the rear seats were removed or not but there are three crew members in the photo I am using as reference. I am also adding the two rear doors on mine as in the photo. The rear windows will also be weathered with the sand/dust covering them so you can't see inside. Mine won't have the camo cover or the super swamper tires though.

Here you can see how the stowage piece fits in the cargo bed and rear seat area.