Author Topic: Zvezda  (Read 28664 times)

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
Zvezda
« on: July 13, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
Yesterday I picked up Zvezda's 1/144 Tupolev Tu-134 and thought I'd give you folks a bit of a look at the kit.

Good impressions started in the packaging. Zvezda seems to be using a good strong box with the art on a slip cover. I think it's a great idea and would like to see more companies packaging this way:

The parts come on three sprues, plus a two part stand:

Outside of the sprues, the kit contains a straightforward and clear instruction sheet and a set of nice looking decals to cover Soviet and post soviet Aeroflot schemes:

The model looks well engineered and thought out and includes options for both glass and solid nosed variants. Where it really shines is in the finesse of some of the finer parts like the engine faces and landing gear assemblies:

The engine turbine and exhaust faces are nice and deep and will likely look fantastic with a dark base coat and some dry brushing applied to them.

My big reservation about the kit is in the landing gear. The detail is lovely, but so finely done that I actually have concerns about it's ability to hold up the finished model

Some pluses, to my mind:

Outside of the nose options, the underfuselage radome is provided as a separate part. Not all Tu-134s had that radome and it's good to have the option of leaving it off if need be.

The three small galley windows near the aft fuselage are separate parts, but all have a nice tab on one side to hold some adhesive. I think this is quite a thoughtful touch on Zvezda's part, not all manufacturers do that with small individual windows.

Zvezda have made some good decisions in regards to what details to simplify for the scale and which to put more attention to. While the kit has nothing to speak of in the way of cockpit detail, the aforementioned landing gears and engine face details are almost lavish for a kit of this size and scale.

Downsides, if you care to see them that way:

Other than my reservations about the strength of the landing gear; I would call Zvezda's lack of offering the cabin windows as a decal option a slight downside. Some people say that looks toy like, but I think some of the clear cabin windows in some kits can look equally toy like. It would be good to have an option there.

The optional stand would be a great way to take the kit's weight off the landing gear, but if you wanted to try modeling the kit with landing gear in mid rotation, you're in for some work as Zvezda has molded several of the gear bay doors closed as they would be seen if the aircraft was parked. As such, you'd need to open up those areas of the kit and scratchbuild some bays and bay doors.

My kit came with an extra set of decals as sort of a promotion for the Czech market. The decals have the Bilek name on them and are printed by Boa, who do some lovely decals. The sheet covers four Czechoslovak Airlines machines from the  "OK Jet" tail art era and offers fuselage striping with and without windows printed on:

At this time, I don't see the sheet available on it's own from either Bilek or Boa, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one or the other of them do offer it for separate purchase.

Overall, I quite like what I see in this kit. It's clear leg up in several ways over the AZ kit of a year or two ago. I'm looking forward to starting mine.

Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Re: Zvezda
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »
Thanks for this review! There's a whole array of Tu-134 decals coming, so I'll be grabbing at least a couple of these kits (RW Malev old livery, Air Koryo), maybe more for a whiff or two!

I love the Tu-134. And, if anyone needs detail photos, I have LOTS!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:52 PM »
Thanks for this review! There's a whole array of Tu-134 decals coming, so I'll be grabbing at least a couple of these kits (RW Malev old livery, Air Koryo), maybe more for a whiff or two!

I love the Tu-134. And, if anyone needs detail photos, I have LOTS!

I'm glad you found the review of use.

I might also take advantage of your offer of detail photos if I decide to depict mine with the gear in rotation. If I do that, I'll certainly need some decent pics of gear bays and doors as well as extended wing flaps.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »
Just checked through my photos. Now, I knew that the majority were interior shots (like, cockpit and "deep interior" - aft of and under the passenger cabin), but now I'm a bit embarrassed to have made the offer. There are only a few shots of the gear, but several of compartments under hatches (and none of the nose gear bay!) :(

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
Zvezda is starting to post their new releases for 2013! I see they've developed a clever scheme to get my money.  ::)

1/144 aircraft - LINK - all new tools except for the Tu-95 and A-90 (both Revell).
1/72 aircraft - LINK - all new tools!
1/48 will get a Su-2, I think.
1/72 tanks - LINK
1/72 figures - LINK
1/35 tanks - LINK
Ships - LINK

More wargames stuff:
LINK - looks like modern Soviet and US figures in 1/72, vehicles in 1/100 and a Mi-24 and an AH-64 in 1/144.
LINK - Soviet WWII stuff
LINK - British WWII stuff
LINK - German WWII stuff

The 1/72 wargame figures are really nice. I've got a couple of the 1/72 Samurai and they're absolutely awesome.

1/72 MiG-29 9.13, Su-27SM and T-90, 1/144 Il-76 and 1/35 BMPT! And more 1/72 Samurai and some nice, modern Soviet figures. That heartrending sound you heard was my wallet whimpering, dreading the things to come!  :-X

EDIT: switched out the Google-translated link for the 1/35 stuff. Damn 'puters!   :icon_twisted: C:-)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:19:00 PM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Wow. A 1/35 BMPT. I think the BMD-2 is either a re-issue or a they added a new turret. Their wargaming stuff is probably great for its intended purpose, but the "plastic" is very rubbery and extremely difficult to sand/smooth.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
Wow. A 1/35 BMPT. I think the BMD-2 is either a re-issue or a they added a new turret. Their wargaming stuff is probably great for its intended purpose, but the "plastic" is very rubbery and extremely difficult to sand/smooth.

The BMPT will definitely be appreciated when we finally see it on the shelf at the local hobby shops.  I had a dickens of a time trying to open that link for the 1:35th scale tanks none of the other links appears to have been affected except that one. 

Here is a link for the Zvezda main page where you can choose between Russian or English language to view the content. 

I would like to know when this item is going to be available again: ------> German 120-mm Mortar 42 with Trailer and Crew WW2 (kit number 3583)

Seems to be out of stock at the moment with Sprue Brothers and Squadron :(
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
Wow indeed, right? :icon_surprised:  Really looking forward to the BMPT. Hmm, that BMPT's turret on a Merkava? Could very well be that the BMD has some new parts. They did something similar with a BTR-70 which also came with new parts for a different turret.
Which wargaming figures do you mean? The large packs with around 30 guys or the small ones with squads of 5 guy max? The bigger packs use the traditional "rubbery" plastic, ut I think the smaller ones use regular plastic. At least the Samurai figures do. Got  a couple of those and they seem to use the same plastic as, say, Zvezda's 1/72 Hind or Bf 109F-2.

<...> I had a dickens of a time trying to open that link for the 1:35th scale tanks none of the other links appears to have been affected except that one.  <...>
Yeah, sorry.  :icon_crap: The 1/35 one was the only one translated by Google. Apparently they don't like being linked to. Got a similar complaint in a German forum. I guess they worked on my computer because I had translated the links "manually" in Google and the computer just took them from the cache when I tested the links.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:39:39 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »
Which wargaming figures do you mean? The large packs with around 30 guys or the small ones with squads of 5 guy max? The bigger packs use the traditional "rubbery" plastic, ut I think the smaller ones use regular plastic. At least the Samurai figures do. Got  a couple of those and they seem to use the same plastic as, say, Zvezda's 1/72 Hind or Bf 109F-2.

I bought one of their 1/144 LaGG-3. Fairly nice kit except for the rubbery plastic. I've seen a couple of planes and armor in the same wargame line and they seem to use the same plastic. Sanding leaves an annoying plastic "fuzz" on the parts.

I used the BMPT as the inspiration for my Urban Leo tank, so I want one.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
Now they've gone over the top!  :icon_surprised:

RS-12M Topol (SS-25 "Sickle"), apparently as an injection-moulded kit in 1/72!
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Bah!  They should have done it in 1/35, then it'd have been "over the top!"  ;D ;D

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
^ Maybe. Then again, there's no 1/35 TSR.2 to make whiffing the MAZ truck into a Stratos 4 TEL worthwhile, is there?  >:D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:59:49 PM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
Me likey BMPT!!!! :-[
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »
The BMPT is almost here.  Looking forwards to seeing what is in the box when one of the local shops gets some in.  PMMS has an image of the kit box art and a kit number (3636) but it is not showing up on the kit list at Zvezda so for now we continue to hurry up and wait some more...
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 02:14:20 AM »
Arrrgghhh....the new 1/48 Su-2 is available:

And I just purchased a POMK one in the same scale!!! :-\

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 05:16:02 AM »
Su 2 preview on Hyperscale, looks very promising with a UK MSRP of £18.99:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/zvezda4805previewbg_1.htm

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
Very Kool !  I want one !
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:13 AM »
Interesting release:

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »
They have a whole series of Art of Tactic wargaming releases, that one is Hot War: The Battle for Oil.
All the bits n pieces for yer own toe-ta-toe in the Middle East.

I wonder if they'll do a Mad Max: The Battle for 'Gazalene' game next?  ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
Zvezda. Such Flanker. So excite. Wow.

In other words I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Su-27.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:01 AM »
1/35 Pzkpfw V Panther Ausf. D announced:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:32 AM »
1/35 Pzkpfw V Panther Ausf. D announced:

Knowing of the past collaboration between Italeri and Zvezda resulted in several kits from Zvezda showing up in Italeri boxes.  The Russian PM-43 120mm Mortar is just one example of a Zvezda kit that was released under the Italeri brand name.   The same mortar kit with additional parts sprues and different figures was again released as the WW2 German 12cm Granatwerfer 42.  So is it possible that this is another collaboration between Zvezda and Italeri on this Panther kit?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 03:41:40 AM »
^ I'm fairly sure I read on Zvezda's forum (Google translated) that it would be a new kit by Zvezda, not a rebox. Panther kits aren't my forte, but I don't recall any Panther kits coming with a turret interior and individual tracks constructed like that.
There are a few more pics on Zveda's VK site (Russian facebook) - LINK!

Zvezda. Such Flanker. So excite. Wow.

In other words I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Su-27.

;D
Much have. Very detail. Such shape. So amaze. Wow.

In other words, it really is that good!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:52:23 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »
^ I'm fairly sure I read on Zvezda's forum (Google translated) that it would be a new kit by Zvezda, not a rebox. Panther kits aren't my forte, but I don't recall any Panther kits coming with a turret interior and individual tracks constructed like that.
There are a few more pics on Zveda's VK site (Russian facebook) - LINK!
Thanks for the link Moritz, it seems that this will be a new tool kit and not a collaboration with Italeri.  Nice details on the turret interior.  But like you, the Panther is not really in my area of interest either unless it is something to be modified for use in the zombie apocalypse/dystopian future.