General Category > New Model Kit News/Reviews

Special Hobby

<< < (4/26) > >>

raafif:
Is that Firefly U8 a whif ???
According to the official FAA website the U8s were converted AS Mk4s - I doubt they'd change the engine or back-seater's areas.  U9s were ex-AS Mk5s.

Think "Shackfly" would be a better name for post-WW2 versions.

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: raafif on April 19, 2015, 04:53:11 AM ---Is that Firefly U8 a whif ???
According to the official FAA website the U8s were converted AS Mk4s - I doubt they'd change the engine or back-seater's areas.  U9s were ex-AS Mk5s.

--- End quote ---

I have seen references (such as "Fairey Aircraft since 1915" by H.A. Taylor) that the U.8 was a conversion of the A.S.7/T.7.  This is what is represented with this kit I believe.

Also see photo below:

GTX_Admin:
If you really want to freak people out, try putting the late model Firefly nose on a Spitfire or Seafire...

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on April 19, 2015, 05:13:15 AM ---If you really want to freak people out, try putting the late model Firefly nose on a Spitfire or Seafire...

--- End quote ---

Tried it ---  nacelle is too big for a Spit ---- F-82 is another thing  ;)  (nearside nacelle in this pic below)  The nacelle happens to fit a Tempest quite well though, or the Martin Baker MB5 ---

raafif:
It would appear that the U8s were AS.4s with the new engine, tall fin & bubble over the rear cockpit.

The U-9 Drones were standard ex-AS.5s - only external mods were the small wingtip pods.

If putting that bearded engine on a Spitty you would need to enlarge the fin too .... but what Mark of Spit would you start with ??, surely not a Mk.Vb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version