Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Carriage of Very Large Bombs (Grand Slam, Tall Boy, etc.)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on May 15, 2021, 02:30:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on May 14, 2021, 06:14:29 AM ---I took another look at the Lancaster images and realized that in the one drawing it indicates a suspension lug is actually used on one or both of the bombs (Grand Slam and Tall Boy).  This is interesting since no image of the actual weapons that I have seen so far shows such a suspension lug installed on the bomb body.
--- End quote ---
No lugs as far as I'm aware.  you might be looking at a standoff to keep the bomb in place and not moving but not something suspending it per se.

Cool video here too:

https://youtu.be/R-Mm-zFW_nA
--- End quote ---

Thanks Greg, I was thinking the same thing too after looking at the image by zooming in on it.  At first glance, it was looking like a suspension lug but there was no further reinforcements around it to strengthen it for the weight of the bomb. 

kitnut617:
My Dad was an Instrument Fitter on 'C' Flight, he told me his shack where he did the repairs was situated just off the end of a runway which the Lancasters landed on when they brought a bomb back (if they couldn't see the targets they had to bring the bombs back). If he was in the shack, he was always evacuated to the slit trenches until the aircraft had landed safely. A job my Dad had was to remove anything that was not absolutely necessary from inside the fuselage, this apparently included the navigator and all his equipment. The Grand Slam Lancs always flew daylight ops and in a gaggle of Tallboy carrying Lancs who did the navigating.

GTX_Admin:
I'm curious to know if anyone has more details and/or images of the pylons etc used in this configuration:

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on May 16, 2021, 02:29:34 AM ---I'm curious to know if anyone has more details and/or images of the pylons etc used in this configuration:
--- End quote ---
Same here. 

The external bomb rack used on some B-17 Flying Fortress for carrying stores too large for the bomb bay is a good example of what to expect for an external bomb rack but it is still a crap shoot on what lies just out of our view in that image. 

kitnut617:
The photo I got from Boeing is a high resolution photo, it wasn't a "pylon" as such, just two I-Beams probably joined together by a sway brace arrangement for each bomb like in the other photos posted above I suspect. Just to illustrate the resolution, there's a guy's face in the bubble window with a great big grin on it. Mind you that is looking at it with a magnifying glass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version