Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Air-to-air missiles

(1/5) > >>

GTX_Admin:
A thread for your air-to-air missile related questions, ideas etc

GTX_Admin:
To start with, what if the US decided to do similar to the USSR and have both IR and SARH guided versions of their missiles.  I know there were such for the aIM-4 and even the AIM-9 albeit the latter in small numbers.  What about a IR guided AIM-7 though?

There was the dual mode seeker AIM/RIM-7R which integrated a passive infrared seeker in its radome for terminal guidance but this isn't quite the same thing.

elmayerle:
That would be an interesting whiff to model.  I wonder if you'd use a scaled-up version of an early model Sidewinder seeker, or one of the later versions?

Or how about the British doing the same thing with their IR-guided missiles and developing SARH versions?

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on August 18, 2019, 11:51:37 AM ---That would be an interesting whiff to model.  I wonder if you'd use a scaled-up version of an early model Sidewinder seeker, or one of the later versions?

--- End quote ---

Depends on the era I suppose.

--- Quote from: elmayerle on August 18, 2019, 11:51:37 AM ---Or how about the British doing the same thing with their IR-guided missiles and developing SARH versions?

--- End quote ---

Well, the British did propose a variant of the IR guided Red Top called Blue Dolphin (or Blue Jay Mk. V,) using SARH for capability similar to the AIM-7 Sparrow, but it was cancelled.  In an alternate reality, one could see British birds (such as the Sea Vixen below) carrying a pair of IR guided Red Tops and a pair of SARH guided Blue Dolphins ala Soviet style:

M.A.D:
Seeing that America adopted the AGM-78 Standard ARM, which itself was adapted from the RIM-66 SM-1 Standard SAM missile to an air-to-air missile - AIM-97 Seekbat to counter the perceived capabilities of the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat and to arm both the F-15 Eagle and F-4 Phantom II, could the British adapt it's Sea Dart SAM likewise??

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version