Modelling > Other

Technical Questions in relation to my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' please

<< < (2/9) > >>

Old Wombat:
The RAAF didn't opt for an Avon powered Mirage III (despite the fact that Dassault would have borne most of the costs for the modifications) because the costs were too prohibitive - one was built.

https://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/research/aircraft/series3/A3.htm

The same would probably apply to the Sh!tduck Scooter.

The Tracker was too much of an advance - it had MAD technology (the boom), a much better radar, more sono-buoy capacity,  over double the combat load & almost twice the loiter time - & was not that much bigger than either the Gannet or the Alizé (especially length-wise) when folded up. Their biggest difference was height but they still fit in Melbourne's hangar.

M.A.D:
G'day gents, and a Happy New Year to you and your families!!

I have a couple more technical questions pertaining to my Alternative ADF ORBAT of the forum members, if I may please:

1/ I have only ever seen, and am made to believe that the Dassault Mirage III was only equipped to carry and launch a single Matra R.530 (semi active radar homing variant) AAM on its fuselage centreline hardpoint.
So is there any 'physical' reason why the Mirage III couldn't be configured during manufacturing (or retrofitted/updated regards to wiring) a R.530 AAM under each main wing hardpoint (in place of wing-mounted drop tank)?
Being mounted on the 'main-wing hardpoint (which a capacity within the scope of the R.530's 143 kg (315 lb) weight), with pylon, does the Mirage III have the ground clearance to carry the R.530 in this manner?

Also, so as to compensate for the loss of the two wing-mounted drop tanks to facilitating of the two R.530's, did Dassault offer a larger capacity centreline drop tank for the Mirage III series in the 1960's? Ive read somewhere that that Mirage IIIE could carry a 1300 L drop tank (with 1038kg of fuel for 199 nm of range), a 1700 L drop tank (with 1358 kg of fuel for 260 nm of range), but this information is from one of my hard drives, without a reference, as to where I obtained these figures, just as I'm not sure if the these 1300 L and or 1700 L drop tank are in relation to the centreline hardpoint? :icon_crap:

2/ Does anyone have any knowledge of the ground clearance of the Saab A32 Lansen from ground to wing pylons? As to, the ground clearance of the Mirage IIIE from ground to wing pylons, as well as centreline hardpoint, as Im trying to ascertain as to whether it is permissible to fit the Swedish RB-04 air-to-ground missiles under/on the centreline hardpoint of the two-seat Mirage IIID? Also, saying this, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to allow the same Mirage IIID to carry and operate PS-431/A radar, which the Saab A32 Lansen uses in coordination with the RB-04 missile?
Do you think that the PS-431/A radar could be mounted in an under fuselage radome like the Saab A32 Lansen, or I was thinking of perhaps a modified bulbous nosed-type drop tank arrangement, something like the long-range drop tanks used by the Mirage 2000N, so as to house the radar?

Your suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

M.A.D 

ScranJ51:
According to the RAAF Mirage Flight Manual (page 1-26), the largest tank that could be carried on the centre-line was the 286 Gal (1300L) tank - the 374 Gal (BIG Jugs - 1700L) were only for the wing points.  These tanks are all jettisonable.

The IIID could only carry a 242 Gal tank on the centre-line - because of clearance with the forward landing gear.

As to your question about ground clearance of a R530 on the wing points - looking at a couple of photos I have added here - on A3-58 the lower fins on the  R530 centre-line fit come down to about the axle

58 by David Freeman,

and on A3-55 with 286's fitted - the tanks come down to about the axle also

55 (2) by David Freeman, on Flickr

- so I don't see why R530's would have ground clearance issues with your proposal.

Scran

M.A.D:
Thank you kindly ScranJ51, your assistance is both appreciative and encouraging!

So my heavier single-seat, Mirage IIIO(F) equipped with two wing-mounted R530's, two wing-mounted Aim-9B's and a centreline-mounted 1,300 lL (286 Gal) drop tank sounds a little more plausible  :P

I'm also happy to see those two 1,700 L (374 Gal) drop tank on an RAAF Mirage III, thanks mate!

You wouldn't know the diameter of those 1,700 L (374 Gal) would you?

M.A.D

ScranJ51:
Just confirming - the picture of A3-55 the aircraft is carrying 286 Gal/1300L tanks - NOT Big Jugs.

I think in my 16 years or so associated with Mirages I saw 374 Gal tanks maybe 4 times.

No pics I can find, and no idea as to diameter etc.

The Flight Manual is very informative about Big Jugs - they are only for ferry reasons and there are major limitations placed on the aircraft when carrying them - including speed, aileron input rate/rate of roll, C of G issues etc.

Basically - I doubt if there is any practical application available to you unless in ferry configuration.

And yes - I think your configuration - AIM-9s outboard, R-530 on the wings and a 286 Gal on the centre-line is feasible.

Pleasure

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version