Modelling > Other

Technical Questions in relation to my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' please

<< < (9/9)

M.A.D:
G'day all

I've got a couple of questions for the forum please:

1/ I'm looking for a picture/drawing that clearly shows a scaled-size comparison of Grumman E-1 Tracer and Grumman E-2 Hawkeye AEW aircraft?

2/ I have a technical question in relation to the Grumman AF-3F Guardian and the fitting of its externally-mounted retractable ASQ-8 Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) boom, which was "scabbed" onto the starboard (right) side of it's fuselage, to make it a more effective submarine killer.

In an article I've read by Tommy H. Thomason (http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/02/grumman-af-guardian-notes.html?m=1)
Tommy H. Thomason states that due to the added weight and space required (and I dare say drag) of fitting the MAD system and the large APS-31B surface-search radar under the right wing "required removal of some equipment and stores capability, " as well as a reduction of onboard fuel, which intern reduced the AF-3S's endurance from six to five hours.

Does anyone know how how big was the actual technical/systems/componentry of this ASQ-8 within the aircraft itself?
Also did the 'unseen' internal technical/systems - 'black boxes' of MAD get smaller/more compact and lighter by the 1960's?

M.A.D

jcf:
Quick n' dirty sideview comparison, the E-2 is a bit over 12' longer.
I've lined up the wing leading edges.

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: jcf on June 18, 2019, 07:38:41 AM ---Quick n' dirty sideview comparison, the E-2 is a bit over 12' longer.
I've lined up the wing leading edges.

--- End quote ---

Thank you jcf for your kind assistance and in put. 👍

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version