Modelling > Other

Technical Questions in relation to my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' please

<< < (8/9) > >>

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on January 18, 2018, 03:05:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: M.A.D on January 17, 2018, 04:23:07 AM ---which one would assume would be the principle course enemy bombers would take in attacking a carrier battle group.

--- End quote ---

Depending upon the era you are talking about, you would not necessarily expect this to be the case.  In fact, for much of the 1960s and even into the '70s and beyond, one could just as much expect an attack on CBGs to come from high altitude using stand-off missiles.

--- Quote from: M.A.D on January 17, 2018, 04:23:07 AM ---Hence my question in relation to the installation of a Doppler radar, so as to remedy this problem, and give the RAN V-384 a lookdown - shotdown capability, with the Aim-9C.

--- End quote ---

Again, I think this will be dependent upon the era you are talking about.  Honestly, until the introduction of the F-15 I doubt you will find any weapon systems with an effective look down - shoot down capability, and even then I have read stories of the F-15's radar having issues.

--- End quote ---

Some good and valid points Greg! 
All the more important that my Majestic class carrier's (with the help of Donny / dy031101)
have the best opportunity of survival in a hostile environment!! :-\

M. A. D

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on January 18, 2018, 08:34:29 AM --- Might be worth my while following this book up.

--- End quote ---

Ok, I did some more research (including purchasing the book in question and reading the section on AIM-9C right away).  Quite interesting in that it speaks highly of the AIM-9C development.  There is no real talk of poor performance in regard to the radar - in fact, the author (and the guys at the time) speak quite highly of the F8U-2NE Crusader's Magnavox AN/APQ-94 whereas they were far from impressed with the Westinghouse AN/APQ-72 in the F-4Bs at the same time.  The basic summation was that the F-8/APQ-94/AIM-9C combination worked quite well (for its day) and that the only reason the AIM-9C was eventually withdrawn was that the F-8 was also being withdrawn.  They did say that pilots were at first sceptical of the AIM-9C's SARH guidance and the fact that they would be able to use it as an all aspect weapon (i.e. no longer be forced to only fire in a tail chase scenario, which was typical of the IR guided AIM-9B/D) but that this was overcome once they saw it operate.  I wonder if this doubt is still part of the lingering misinformation about the weapon?  I also suspect that the limited production numbers were still tied to my previous comments about minimal use of such weapons due to engagement parameters, including the fact that the IR guided versions were fire&forget whereas the SARH version required the pilot to keep pointing towards the target?

Either way, I think the AIM-9C is still a useful weapon (for its day) and there is certainly no mention of doppler radar, or lack thereof, issues.  That said, the system was certainly not 'look down-shoot down).  In fact, no-one had this capability operationally until the F-4J/Westinghouse AN/AWG-10 combination in the late 1960's/early 1970's ( I was wrong with the F-15 comment earlier).  Therefore, I wouldn't really hold this against the F-8/AIM-9C.

That said, giving the Mirage with its Cyrano II radar the AIM-9C may have issues.  For one, there would need to be some compatibility matching  though this is not impossible to overcome - after all, the Cyrano was able to guide R.530s which were also used on Aéronavale F-8E(FN)s.  One issue might be the dish diameter (this was something mentioned in the Sidewinder book) with the Cyrano II having a dish of 36cm whereas the AN/APQ-94 was of 53.3cm (21").  One option might be to try to give the Mirage III the AN/APQ-94 and possibly result in a 'big nose' Mirage (the "Cyrano de Bergerac" version?). 

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on January 16, 2018, 08:33:54 AM ---So as much as its obvious that Mirage IIIO(A) had a Doppler fitted, which I hope elevates the issue and effectiveness of the Aim-9C/Mirage IIIO combination for the RAAF

--- End quote ---

The Marconi continuous-wave doppler radar fitted to the RAAF Mirage IIIs was only a navigation radar (in addition to the normal Thompson-CSF Cyrano II radar in the nose).  It had no weapon related capability what-so-ever.

M.A.D:
Wow, thanks Greg,  some good info there mate, and it looks like you scored a good book - it's so difficult to find anything significant on the Aim-9C.

M. A. D

M.A.D:
G'day all!

I'm up to doing the 1970's time frame of my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' Army component - prodomantly the replacement of the Centurion MBT and support vehicles. In terms of 'real-world' history the Australian Army / government conducted the following:

--- Quote ---"During the period March to May 1971, RAAC officers visited the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Belgium and the Federal Republic of Germany to review developments in armoured vehicles. Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) that were reviewed by the group included M60A1 (USA), Chieftain and Vickers (UK), AMX 30 (France) and Leopard (Federal Republic of Germany). The review of these armoured vehicles was the first step in the programme to investigate the replacement of the Centurion as the Australian Army's Main Battle Tank."
--- End quote ---

Now in truth and reality I have no problems with (and support) the 'real-world' selection of the Leopard 1A3, as I've worked with the Leopard 1AS over many years in my time in the Australian Army. But I'd like to find more information if I could, with your support of knowledge and recourse please. Does anyone have any further/more informative information on the reviews/eveluations of the likes of the Chieftain, Vickers and AMX-30 by the Australian delegation of the time, and if possible, if any details of these tanks in say 1971 $$$ terms (Jane's Defence etc...)??

I don't want to give too much away, but I have a scenario in mind, which could/might derive another winning design - other than the M60/Leopard 1 contenders  ;)

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version