Modelling > Land

T-44, T-54, and T-55 MBT series vehicles, including foreign production

<< < (6/15) > >>

Frank3k:
Slightly off topic, there's also the BMPT-64K

3. IFV-64-К.wmv

Kerick:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on November 13, 2014, 02:39:50 AM ---I dunno Greg; there are significant differences between the two:

Here's a  Puma, for comparison:

The upper hull is very different between the Achzarit and the BMP-55 and the road wheels are different , drive wheels may be different.
It may be easier (and a lot cheaper) to start with the lower hull from a Trumpeter T-54/T-55 kit (reviews here: http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/trumpt55.htm) and scratch build the upper hull.

--- End quote ---

If you look closely at the two pics check out where the drive sprockets are located. The Achzarit has the drive sprockets in the rear as the T -55 tank was built. The BMP 55 has the drive sprocket in the front indicating the vehicle drives in the reverse direction. This makes good sense as it opens up the rear (formerly the front) of the tank for troop entry and exit.

Rickshaw:
Reversing the drive train is far more sensible than the Azcharit's where the passengers have to basically crawl along a tunnel, over the rear drive shaft and then out of the vehicle.  Like the Temsah conversion of the Centurion, it basically frees the now rear of the vehicle for a full height/width ramp, making inbush/debuss quicker and easier.

Kerick:
Also by moving the engine to the front it gives a little more protection to the occupants from a frontal shot.
I wonder if its the basic T-54/55 engine in the BMP-55 or something new.

Old Wombat:
I didn't read it thoroughly but I'm pretty sure I noticed the article saying that they had fitted a new power plant to improve power & fuel economy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version