Modelling > Engineering Dept.

RW materials question for the Whiffverse:

(1/9) > >>

Daryl J.:
The question: at what speed is it better to use titanium instead to aluminum in an airframe?  The follow-on question:  is it possible to have the high friction areas be titanium instead of aluminum on airframes, presuming an existing platform is being subjected to modifications?

Yes, this is a recce Phantom question. :)

Greg and I was chatting at the Spruce Goose Museum last year and he told of a certain high speed run that ruined some newly applied paint.   And there are rumors of some very high speed events with Syrian MiG-25s and Israeli Phantoms.   It kicked my OCD/AMS (aka imagination) in to gear.  :D.   And the Academy thin wing Phantom showed up today.  Mmmmm!  Thus the questions.

Thanks in advance,
Daryl j.

Cliffy B:
Keep in mind I'm not a metallurgist or aeronautical engineer but just considering the melting points of the two metals in question I'd go with titanium in the high heat areas and definitely not aluminum.  Aluminum will melt at around 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and titanium at over 3,000.  If you can carry the extra weight, use the titanium.

Again, just the opinion of whiffer and Google  ;D

Daryl J.:
I'm thinking in terms of heat resistance, yes, but also things like coefficients of expansion, stiffness compatibilties, galvanic corrosion resistance, etc.   I'm utterly oblivious.   :-[

As little time as I have to model any more and given that I prefer a Near-RW Whifbuild, having something reasonably plausible it is the goal.   Ah, the things I choose to torment myself with!  ;D

Cliffy B:
Since it'll be high heat, it'll probably be unpainted right?  Just paint various natural metal shades and call it a special "alloy".  See, problem solved  ;D

elmayerle:
Biggest problem in substituting titanium for aluminum is that you suddenly have all sorts of galvanic corrosion potentials that you didn't have before and you may need special sealants and/or surface finishes.  That's something I deal with a fair bit, given that I'm currently working with structure around propulsion systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version