Notices > Forum Notices

Smilies - your preference

<< < (2/3) > >>

Doom!:

--- Quote from: Scooterman on January 02, 2012, 12:54:00 AM ---I lean towards the smaller, older style, but with a few added.

Quick search-I think these could cover it.  Collection 1 is cool.
http://www.big-boards.com/smileys.php#

Of course, just my $0.02.

--- End quote ---

I like Smileys Collection 1 off the above mentioned page.

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Litvyak on January 01, 2012, 03:30:59 PM ---I don't care about the style! So long as they're smaller, say about half the current size? If it's an option, perhaps just keep the current ones, but make them smaller?
--- End quote ---

I agree with Xenia, smaller would be preferred since these larger images disrupt sentence and paragraph structure for anyone making a longer reply that wishes to insert one of these things you end up with a two or three line separation which is annoying.

Weaver:
I vote to change them: the current ones are too big and too ambiguous.

As to what style to use instead, I'd go for the standard small smileys seen on What If Modellers and most other web forums.

Regarding the selection of smileys, while it's fine to include quirky, amusing or even custom ones, it's VERY IMPORTANT to have a full suite of the basics, i.e. smile, laugh, frown, angry, rolleyes, wink, thumbs up, thumbs down, confused, shocked (i.e. popping eyes), blush etc.. These are the ones that you actually use most often and in the way there were intended: to convey emotion.

ChernayaAkula:

--- Quote from: Doom! on January 02, 2012, 02:05:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Scooterman on January 02, 2012, 12:54:00 AM ---I lean towards the smaller, older style, but with a few added.

Quick search-I think these could cover it.  Collection 1 is cool.
http://www.big-boards.com/smileys.php#

Of course, just my $0.02.

--- End quote ---

I like Smileys Collection 1 off the above mentioned page.

--- End quote ---

Yup! Me too!

Stargazer2006:
At the risk of sounding like a party-pooper, I simply do NOT like the current smilies...

Why?

1°) They are too big. Whenever inserted in a text they cause a jump in the lines that is annoying (ideally smilies should be used like punctuation and therefore inserted anywhere in a line without disrupting or complicating the reading).
2°) They have no transparency. The big white square area around them disrupts the reading even more.
3°) Most of these characters express negative behavior. Only seven smilies show happy/smug/content characters, the rest are bored, angry, annoyed, sick, ill... I'd like more shades of positive feelings to pick from (bowing in respect, having a toast with a friend, stuff like that).

To me, the icons from the "other" site were just perfect! More arty or more sophisticated doesn't necessarily more user friendly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version