General Category > New Model Kit News/Reviews

ICM

(1/67) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:

(Image source: ICM)

Click on html or the image above to visit ICM. 

ICM-48231, 1/48th scale PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plates (Modeling Madness kit review)
ICM-72214, 1/72nd scale PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plates (IPMS USA kit review)

I picked up both of these sets this weekend to see what they were like in my hand and to add yet more accessories to the stash.  What I found was a rather nicely done "plate" that is detailed on one side only and probably about half the thickness of a full plate.  To give some depth it might be necessary to glue a pair of them together (detail side facing out on both pieces).  I suggest this only if you are going to display the plates in a stack.  If you assemble the plates according to the instructions you will have thrity-two parts to assemble in any shape you wish restricted only by your imagination and display base.  The 1/72nd scale plates are attached to sprues with four plates to each sprue.  The 1/48th scale are all individual parts with no sprue.  Both kits are packaged in an inner bag but in the case of the 48th scale kit these inner bags were all ruptured due to the bulk and weight of the parts.  The 1/72nd scale bags were all intact.  The 1/48th scale kit comes in a very sturdy two piece cardboard box with a heavy cardboard bottom and a slightly lighter weight box top.  The 1/72nd scale kit is packaged in paper card stock weight one piece box with end openings and is not as sturdy as the 48th scale kit box.   

For my own projects, I wanted something to use as fill in the back of a cargo truck so the scale was not a pressing requirement for me.  The 1/72nd scale plates could work well with a 48th scale model and the 48th scale plates could also work well with a 1/35th or 1/32nd scale model and in that case they would no longer be PAG-14 concrete airfield plates but something altogether different and you could I suppose name them what ever you wanted.  The real PAG-14 concrete panels are L 6.0 m X W 2.0 m X H 14 cm and weigh 4200 kg.  The PAG-14 is one of several concrete plate types that are identified by PAG-XX.  The XX identifies the thickness of the plate which is offered in three versions as PAG-14 (14 cm), PAG-18 (18 cm), and PAG-20 (20 cm). 

Link for a pdf document titled "Soviet Prestressed Construction for Airfields" that was presented for the 2007 FAA Worldwide Airport Technology Transfer Conference held in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA, April 2007.  A couple of images in the document show the details of a concrete airfield panel similar to the PAG-14.

EDIT: Fixed link to pdf

Rickshaw:
Do they include the vegetation?

Diavel:
I have the 1/72nd scale modern soviet air base set, which includes a few of these plates. unfortunately not really enough to make the set worthwhile. This new set should hopefully remedy that somewhat.
Chris 

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Diavel on October 30, 2012, 11:58:07 PM ---I have the 1/72nd scale modern soviet air base set, which includes a few of these plates. unfortunately not really enough to make the set worthwhile. This new set should hopefully remedy that somewhat.
--- End quote ---

Thirty two plates in each set for both scales.  That is a sufficient quantity to make a decent size parking spot for any aircraft in either scale.  Setting aside the scale and you have some nice raw materials for all kinds of things. 

Jeffry Fontaine:
ICM 1:35th scale Russian Maxim PM M1910 Machine Gun (kit number 35674)

Click on html or thumbnail to see additional images of this kit at MilitaryModels.

Wikipedia Maxim PM M1910 Machine Gun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version