Modelling > Engineering Dept.

DeHavilland Comet

(1/3) > >>

kengeorge:
A question I have asked myself, could the DeHavilland Comet be converted to an inflight refueller? What is the opinion on this, as could it be done, would it be practical, or a waste of time?
My idea could be take a Comet 4, gut the fuselage, add 2-3 tanks in the space left as it was done in the VC10 conversion, add IFR pods on the wings and a centreline hose and drogue unit under the tail, replace RR Avons with Speys and add an IFR probe above the cockpit.
RAF Comet K.4 anyone?
Doable?

Ken

Old Wombat:
Ah! From the title & your statement "... could the DeHavilland Comet be converted to an inflight refueller?" I thought you meant this:

And I thought "What the ...?" :-\

Then you wrote "... My idea could be take a Comet 4 ..." & I realised you meant this:

I have no idea re: the technicalities but I can't see why not. ???

The joys of one company giving two very disparate aircraft the same name. ;)

GTX_Admin:
Funny you should pose this question.... ;)

kengeorge:
Old Wombat, Much as I would love to see a DH.88 trailing a hosepipe to top up the tanks of another DH.88 for the McRobertson air race, but sadly, no. I did wonder why the RAF didn't convert DH.108 Comets to IFR after swapping them for CV10's.
Greg, inquiring minds need to know more....

apophenia:

--- Quote from: kengeorge on May 24, 2022, 03:14:44 AM ---... Greg, inquiring minds need to know more....

--- End quote ---

Wait for it ...  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version