Modelling > Swords to Plowshares GB

Two Possible Ideas That I am Thinking About Doing

(1/5) > >>

PFJN:
Hi,
The topic of this group build really sounds interesting, and I have a couple ideas that I am thinking about.  The first would b to convert the old 1/125 scale Lindberg Minesweeper model into a research vessel, by adding an A-Frame to the stern along with some cranes, winches and maybe a small hangar for handling a towed SONAR (or something similar).

The other idea is a little more out there though, in that I am thinking of taking an old Airfix HMS Fearless model and converting it into a Carribean or Mediterranean "Party Boat/Vacation Resort".  In general I was thinking of replacing the landing craft in the davits with sail boats, covering the flight deck in sand with maybe a little "Tiki Bar" and Beach Volley Ball courts, and then making the stern well into some sort of "Swim Platform/mooring space for Jetskis, Windsurfers, and kayaks etc".   I might alos add one of those inflatable water slides from the flight deck (along with a boarding ladder for people to climbe back onboard back up to deck), and maybe would alos update the ship's superstructure a little to add a big enclosed bar and/or restaurant space either in front of the bridge, or overlooking the beach/flight deck.

I'm not sure if I will have time to complete both (since I'm kind of a slo builder), but I kind of like both ideas, so I will see what I might be able to do  :smiley:

Regards

Pat

LemonJello:
Both ideas sound really, really good.  As moderator, I say:

PFJN:
Thanks,

Here's a rough sketch of the "Party LPD" idea (I hope I scaled it right).

Pat

The Rat:
An idea I'll never get around to, because I've had it for about 20 years, and you can have if you like, is along the lines of your party boat. I was thinking of an old aircraft carrier conversion, with a helipad, mini-golf course, large pools, maybe even some carnival rides, like a roller coaster. Tennis courts, basketball, even an ice rink would be possible. Bungee jumping? Sure, why not? The carrier flight deck gives you more room, literally(!), for all sorts of things.

PFJN:
Hi,
That sounds like a cool idea.

Below, is a quick sketch of what I was thinking of for the Minesweeper conversion.

The Rust colord thing on the back would be an A-Frame for handling stuff over the stern.
The Red Box would be a small Hangar for a towed body, and the Orange cylinder ontop of the Hangar would be the winch for the towed body.
The Yellow Box would just be an extension of the deckhouse amidship for labs.
The Light Green shape would be a revised smokestack.
The Dark Green Box would be another small Hangar for handling stuff over the side of the ship, where the Black box shown in the profile view would be the door to that Hangar.
The Light Blue shape respresents a revised enclosed Bridge, and the Dark Blue shape forward is just another deckhouse extension (if needed).

An alternate idea would be to get rid of the Dark B,lue deckhouse forward and replace it with a location where you could store some 20 ft containers for stores and/or scientific equipment.  Like I said though its really just a rough sketch for now.

Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version