Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 129989 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #475 on: December 04, 2021, 04:31:08 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #476 on: December 04, 2021, 04:51:33 AM »
Change of plans for my ESCI what if LAV-25 with the M61 Vulcan. Seeing Gingie and Buzzbomb already did one similar to what I want to do I decided to change mine up a bit.

I have always wanted the Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur Vulcan in 1/35 but nothing available. My idea is to convert the ESCI LAV-25 to look somewhat similar to the Excalibur. Of course, mine won't be an exact copy of the Excalibur but will be like a long lost 5th or 6th cousin.

Some examples of the Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur Vulcan. It uses the M167 VADS turret.

I found a 3-view of the M167 and printed it to scale.

I have the Academy M163 gun and turret parts as parts trees I found on Ebay. Some parts are missing off the parts trees because I had already cut some off to use on a different kit.

Scratch building the big rectangular ammo canister.

That's it for now.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #477 on: December 04, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »
Scratching skills! :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #478 on: December 04, 2021, 07:16:33 AM »
Seeing Gingie and Buzzbomb already did one similar to what I want to do I decided to change mine up a bit.

That's what I love about this place, it's like a never-ending game of artistic Dominoes.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #479 on: December 04, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Seeing Gingie and Buzzbomb already did one similar to what I want to do I decided to change mine up a bit.

That's what I love about this place, it's like a never-ending game of artistic Dominoes.

This site has a lot of great ideas and a lot of even greater builds. As awesome as theirs looked, I didn't want mine to look like I was copying theirs even though mine wouldn't even come close to looking anywhere near as nice as theirs so I switched it up.

Scratching skills! :icon_alabanza:

Thanks! Scratch building is really tedious and a lot of trial and error but worth it especially if you can't find plastic or resin parts readily available.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #480 on: December 04, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
Started working on the M167 turret. I used the Academy M163 turret tub and built around it. Got the Ammo canister attached. The dark circular piece was taken from the Tamiya Marder and is being used as the base for the radar mount.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2021, 09:16:50 PM »
I used the ESCI LAV-25 lower hull for the base of the Excalibur. Scratch building the cab and upper hull.

The tires are from the Trumpeter LAV SLEP tire set.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:21:21 PM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #482 on: December 05, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
Liking this very much! 8)

I take it you're losing the variable ride-height function* found on the real thing? ???

[*: The LAV's suspension system not exactly being designed to work like that.]
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
Definitely an improvement over the original vehicle now that the new driver's compartment is added in.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #484 on: December 05, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »
Definitely an improvement over the original vehicle now that the new driver's compartment is added in.  :smiley:

Thanks! Mine isn't the same as the real Excalibur as the cab sits more forward than on the real one. The front of the ESCI LAV lower hull is angled inwards where the seats would go on the Excalibur. If I wanted to fit the seats in the correct position and have the cab also in the correct position I would have had to scratch build and entirely new lower hull. The way the ESCI LAV lower hull is designed, I could only fit one seat centered and I didn't want to have just one seat so mine is not an exact copy of the Excalibur. Mine is just a wanna be, somewhat, kind of look alike Excalibur.

Liking this very much! 8)

I take it you're losing the variable ride-height function* found on the real thing? ???

[*: The LAV's suspension system not exactly being designed to work like that.]

Thanks! Mine isn't going to be the same as the real Excalibur. Mine is just a poor man's garage built knockoff, wanna be, imitation, what if, long lost 6th cousin that looks somewhat like the Excalibur. It will have some similar features as the real one though. The reason I used the LAV lower hull and suspension is that it was way easier that way. For me to get anything looking like the real Excalibur, I would have had to scratch build an entirely new lower hull to fit the seats in the proper position and I would have to rob the suspension parts from two LAV kits to make mine look even remotely close to the real one. One major problem with scratch building an entirely new lower hull is trying to get the suspension to fit correctly and sit evenly. I took the easy way out and just used the LAV lower hull and suspension as is.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #485 on: December 06, 2021, 03:07:44 AM »
Working on the Academy M163 gun mount.

Test fitting it to the scratch built VADS turret.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #486 on: December 06, 2021, 03:26:20 AM »
This is looking really good! Excellent scratchbuilding.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #487 on: December 06, 2021, 09:38:10 PM »
This is looking really good! Excellent scratchbuilding.

Thank you!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #488 on: December 06, 2021, 09:41:00 PM »
Test fitting the roof for the cab. It is only taped on for now so the front is lower than it should be as the window frames aren't on yet. Also test fitting the turret.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #489 on: December 07, 2021, 01:19:31 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #490 on: December 07, 2021, 01:28:14 AM »
Coming along nicely
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #491 on: December 07, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »
Where did you get the crew seats? The greenish structures under the cab look like they most be from an AFV Club kit, but I can't place the parts.

Offline Ramba

Offline Ramba

« Reply #493 on: December 07, 2021, 04:15:53 AM »
Where did you get the crew seats? The greenish structures under the cab look like they most be from an AFV Club kit, but I can't place the parts.

The seats are from the Italeri HMMWV. Yes, the structure at the lower front part of the cab is from the AFV Stryker upgrade set. I removed it though. The next set of photos I post will still show the AFV Stryker part as I took a few photos when it was still on.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #494 on: December 07, 2021, 05:10:28 AM »
Awesomeness...

Going totally different shape will set this apart and the concept is really good

Offline Ramba

« Reply #495 on: December 07, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Awesomeness...

Going totally different shape will set this apart and the concept is really good

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #496 on: December 07, 2021, 09:01:07 PM »
Test fitting the gun and gun mount.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #497 on: December 07, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »
It fits. It turns. Good result! :smiley: 8)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #498 on: December 08, 2021, 03:20:46 AM »
Well, I'm going to shamelessly copy Ramba's take on the Excalibur!  :smiley:

I get that its intended as a sort of "inspired by" Excalibur, but really - there's no doubt at all that's its lineage is a direct descendant of Excalibur., more like a son than a 5th cousin!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #499 on: December 08, 2021, 09:53:44 PM »
It fits. It turns. Good result! :smiley: 8)

Thanks! Yes, it turns and actually clears the back of the cab. I was concerned about that.