Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Air-to-air missiles

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Thanks to War Thunder I found a renewed interest in the SRAAM.  One version of the Hawker Hunter in game is available with a pair of SRAAM Tail Dog AAM pods containing two missiles each.  While the game play is a bit dodgy at times the podded missiles are very interesting and got me to wondering about how to come up with my own interpretation of this weapon based on parts I have in the spares box.  Now mind you, the bits I had were acquired years ago from several Hasegawa and Fujimi 1:48th scale Hughes/MDD/Boeing 500/OH-6 Cayuse kits that contained the optional TOW missile system where the missiles were enclosed in a streamlined pod shape containing two missiles each.  I had the bits sitting for years before taking time out to trim them up and glue the pods back to back and created something interesting but yet without purpose.  After War Thunder released the Hawker Hunter/SRAAM version for the game it dawned on me that maybe my missile pod could pass for something similar for the Hunter or some other aircraft from the period. 

GTX_Admin:
Some photos of the SRAAM Tail Dog installation you are talking about for those unaware:

Volkodav:
I believe ASRAAM was developed from Taildog.  I recall reading that one of the development shots turned so quickly after firing, it almost took the nose off the Hunter that fired it.

The thing I liked about the design was the launch tube, making a retractable pod, as used for air to air rockets, a possibility.

GTX_Admin:
I believe Tail Dog led to SRAAM which in turn led to ASRAAM.

Another photo:

Rickshaw:
Tail Dog was a US programme.  SRAAM was a British programme.  Both were in competition to each other.  Tail Dog was IIRC dropped in favour of improved Sidewinders.  SRAAM dropped in favour of a joint European programme which was ASRAAM. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version