Modelling > Engineering Dept.

RAAF English Electric Canberra 'SLEP Program'

(1/18) > >>

M.A.D:
Just finish reading an interesting 'What If' about RAAF chooses EE Lightning over Mirage, from which some of this fine forums members appeared to have participated.

It was a very interesting read, and could help make me do some serious contemplating.

One interesting topic of mention was the suggestion of a 'SLEP' (Shelf Life Extension Program)
for the RAAF's English Electric Canberra.

Realistically, one can not deny that the RAAF's Canberra's had plenty of life and potential left in them, with an in-flight refuelling receptor immediatly coming to mind.......

So I'd like to put it to the forum - how do you think the RAAF could have upgraded it's Canberra light bombers? Your input might go some way in encouraging me to mandate a Canberra SLEP Program into my Alternative ADF ORBAT!!

M.A.D

Rickshaw:
Upgrade the engines.  That is about all I can think of that they needed, really.   For use in low-level threat environments they were perfect.  Faced with SAMs they weren't, so perhaps some ECM and defensive gear but that might be too late.  I am assuming that you're talking about 1965 when they were meant to be replaced by the F-111?

Kerick:
Very interesting idea! Low level strike or anti shipping missions. Definitely need a refueling probe and up to date efficient engines like you said. Did they already carry ECM or targeting pods?
Then there were the secondary roles. Refueller, ELINT and recon?

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: Rickshaw on August 05, 2019, 08:49:18 AM ---Upgrade the engines.  That is about all I can think of that they needed, really.   For use in low-level threat environments they were perfect.  Faced with SAMs they weren't, so perhaps some ECM and defensive gear but that might be too late.  I am assuming that you're talking about 1965 when they were meant to be replaced by the F-111?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply Rickshaw
Do you have a suggestion for upgrading the engines?
ECM and defensive gear sounds a sensible proposition, especially with their participation and combat experience in the air war in VietNam.

--- Quote ---I am assuming that you're talking about 1965 when they were meant to be replaced by the F-111?
--- End quote ---
You're spot on Rickshaw, I'm thinking GAF has the skill and knowledge to apply such a SLEP to the Canberra's they'd built, don't you think?

M.A.D

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: kerick on August 05, 2019, 10:14:33 AM ---Very interesting idea! Low level strike or anti shipping missions. Definitely need a refueling probe and up to date efficient engines like you said. Did they already carry ECM or targeting pods?
Then there were the secondary roles. Refueller, ELINT and recon?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your input kerick
I like your notion of low-level strike and anti-shipping!  In the 'What If' about RAAF chooses EE Lightning over Mirage that I've quoted, the suggestion is for the Canberra to carry a couple of Swedish RB04 subsonic anti-ship missiles!
I guess it would require a radar to support this missile. I wonder if the wing of the Canberra would support the weight of a RB04? I guess the same could apply to the Canberra using AGM-62 Walleye television-guided glide bomb, so as to give them a stand-off capability?

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version