Modelling > Aero-space

F-18 Hornet and Super Hornet Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/48) > >>

ChernayaAkula:
F/A-18XL! A Super Hornet-version of this would be the F/A-18XXL.

The top view is a modified version of something Greg did, with the fins moved further out, into the wing.

--- Quote from: dy031101 on February 12, 2012, 01:17:04 PM ---Maybe the Cobra would have been a single-engine jet powered by F100 turbofan?   ???

--- End quote ---

With a single F-16-sytle intake, the LERXes and the (then) more pronounced humpback completing the image of a Cobra!  :)

dy031101:

--- Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 13, 2012, 11:31:50 AM ---With a single F-16-sytle intake, the LERXes and the (then) more pronounced humpback completing the image of a Cobra!  :)

--- End quote ---

Well personally I was thinking straightforward of developing the YF-17 from the P-610 because I thought the lateral intakes are too iconic of the F-17 and F/A-18 to easily replace......  ;D

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 13, 2012, 11:31:50 AM ---F/A-18XL! A Super Hornet-version of this would be the F/A-18XXL.

The top view is a modified version of something Greg did, with the fins moved further out, into the wing.

--- End quote ---

That really needs to be built some day...

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: dy031101 on February 12, 2012, 01:17:04 PM ---Maybe the Cobra would have been a single-engine jet powered by F100 turbofan?   ???

--- End quote ---
Actually, for the LWF competition, there was a version of the design powered by a single F100, but the twin YJ101 version was preferred by the USAF.  I suspect the Northrop data in the Western Museum of Flight would have info, but I'm not in a position to check.  Anyone here in the LA area?

GTX_Admin:
Some interesting info on the F-18L posted by BillRo over on Secret Projects.  I really find the Sparrows on the wingtips interesting as I don't recall ever seeing such a configuration on a Hornet (of any variation) before:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version