Modelling > Other

Technical Questions in relation to my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' please

(1/9) > >>

M.A.D:
G'day gents

Once again needing to pick the brain's of forum members for my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT'
If the Administrator(s) don't mind, could I use this space to address my on going questions in relation to my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT', instead of generating a new topic each time?

As I'm desperately attempting to make my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT' as real/workable as possible, I have the following questions to the forum:

1/ I've just finished reading that Ed Heinemann wanted to use the Rolls Royce Avon turbojet instead of the Wright J65 turbojet (itself a development of the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire turbojet). So I'm hoping to get feedback as to how difficult it might have been to incorporate the Rolls Royce Avon into the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk for use by the RAAF and RAN?

2/ I believe that when the Canada looked at the CA-4F Skyhawk proposal, as a replacement for it's McDonnell F2H-3 Banshee aboard its carrier HMCS Bonaventure (http://a4skyhawk.info/article-unit/proposal-canada), it was stated the HMCS
--- Quote ---Bonaventure could have carried and operated 25 of these aircraft
--- End quote ---

So my question is this, if I was to use the Majestic class carrier (HMAS Melbourne) in a 'swing role' - lets say in an offensive strike mission, what does the forum think would be the minimum ASW assets - Gannet/Wessex or Tracker/Sea King I would need aboard to facilitate a self-protection ASW capability aboard to protect the carrier?

3/ As much as I believe the Grumman S2F Tracker was a quantum leap in terms of capability when it replaced the Gannet aboard HMAS Melbourne, the fact is they were a big space consumer on and below deck, to say nothing of more difficult to launch and recover.....
Does the forum think that the Gannet could have realistically been upgraded to remain operationally effective in the ASW/ASV role?
Failing this, what is the forum's notion of the French Breguet Br.1050 Alizé as a Gannet replacement (It's size being smaller than the S2F Tracker, but its sensor and weapons capacity being somewhat less capable)
(Please note, keeping in mind that what ever design (Gannet/Tracker/Alize), its paramount that a AEW variant has to come of it!

Looking forward to your views and feedback!

M.A.D

Volkodav:
Very interesting attachment, particularly the line that the A-7 was believed, with minor modifications, to be able to operate from a modernised majestic.

I recall reading somewhere that the RN did a study comparing a Skyhawk Group to a Phantom / Buccaneer Group on Hermes with the Skyhawk delivering more capability and lower cost through 30-35 airframes verses a total of about (I believe fewer) 20 Phantoms and Buccs.

M.A.D:
Yes, that is interesting Volkodav
The fact that the seeming perpetual want and need of larger, heavier, costlier options (trends) negated the likes of the Scooter is sad! It's not hard to imagine Hermes soldiering on longer with a complement of Skyhawk's as its principle aircraft.

M.A.D

Volkodav:
Especially if you look at the NZ, Singaporean and Israeli upgrades to the type.

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: Volkodav on May 14, 2017, 04:50:12 PM ---Especially if you look at the NZ, Singaporean and Israeli upgrades to the type.

--- End quote ---
True!

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version