Modelling > Aero-space

Supermarine Spitfire Family

<< < (55/55)

apophenia:
Cool document  :smiley:

--- Quote from: perttime on April 10, 2024, 12:21:00 PM ---^ I wonder how they ended up using the same name of the design that we usually identify as Spitfire. Type 224 was quite different.

--- End quote ---

The name suggestion came from the Chairman of Vickers (Aviation) Ltd., Robert McLean. Reportedly, R.J. Mitchell disliked this appellation and it was dropped from use for the Type 225. However, Sir Robert was in a position to reassert his name preference for the Type 300 ... by which time Mitchell was probably too ill to continue his objections.

robunos:

--- Quote from: apophenia on April 11, 2024, 07:30:21 AM ---Cool document  :smiley:

--- Quote from: perttime on April 10, 2024, 12:21:00 PM ---^ I wonder how they ended up using the same name of the design that we usually identify as Spitfire. Type 224 was quite different.

--- End quote ---

The name suggestion came from the Chairman of Vickers (Aviation) Ltd., Robert McLean. Reportedly, R.J. Mitchell disliked this appellation and it was dropped from use for the Type 225. However, Sir Robert was in a position to reassert his name preference for the Type 300 ... by which time Mitchell was probably too ill to continue his objections.

--- End quote ---

Also, as I understand from what I've read, at this time, a name could be proposed, but would not be adopted by the RAF until a production order was placed, or was expected to be placed . . .
Also, I've also read, somewhere, that when the 'real' Spitfire was named, Mitchell's response was 'that's the sort of bl**dy stupid name they would give it', or words to that effect . . .

cheers,
Robin.

raafif:
I'm sure they felt the same about the Fairey "Flycatcher" ... but I'm also sure that it did catch quite a few flies & other insects on its windscreen  ;D

raafif:
Someone here suggested a Dart version of the Spitfire .... :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version