Modelling > Aero-space

Supermarine Spitfire Family

(1/55) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
A new product review on ARC caught my attention due to the fact that it was a conversion and decal kit for a variant of a Spitfire that was unknown to me. 

The variant in question is the Spitfire Mk II LR.  There is a review of the 3D-KITS.co.uk 1/72nd scale Spitfire Mk II LR Conversion Kit at ARC that shows a profile of the aircraft and an image of the slipper tank that was fitted to the port wing. 

How about a Spitfire with the slipper tanks from the De Havalland Mosquito mounted on both wings.  Perhaps the PR Spitfire would benefit from something like this for an increase in range.  Since it would be flying at high altitude the reduction in performance might not be as severe for the PR as it would be for a fighter.  This would be a very easy conversion/modification to a basic Spitfire and it would make a very lovely yet subtle what-if subject. 

Maverick:
From what I've read the Mk II LR was a bit of a dog in the air as the slipper tank quite upset the balance of the aircraft.  Quite understandably too I'd suggest.

I believe the PR Spits had leading edge fuel tanks replacing the cannon/mg of the fighter variants which bestowed a decent enough range for them and the various centreline slipper tanks were options, so the Mosquito type slippers would seem a logical progression.

Regards,

John

Daryl J.:
Two words Jeff!   Fabric Wings!   ;D >:D >:D >:D ;D

elmayerle:
Just a thought for an air-racing variant, the speed Spitfire canopy on a late Mk.21 with contra-props.   8) I just happen to have all the necessary items in my stash (if I can only find them).

Daryl J.:
....remember when Hannants was selling 1/48 Seafire 46/47's for 4 pounds Sterling each?   I bought a bunch of them then simply for the contraprops with the though of hooking them up to a Mk.XIV for the same purpose.   But who can bring themselves to destroy such a beautiful kit!!??!!    :o :o :o :o :o :-\      So they sit up in the storage unit, happily packed away.    :icon_sueno:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version