Modelling > Aero-space

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/95) > >>

Iranian F-14A:

--- Quote from: Cliffy B on January 16, 2012, 10:57:14 AM ---Production version of the test bird fitted with canards on the sides of the intakes.  Always thought that one looked rather wicked.

--- End quote ---

Never seen a pic,but I heard some Israeli F-4s were modified with canards. Not sure if I believe this one or not. I know Israel had a habit of doing local modifications to aircraft, including adding canards to the Mirage 5 to make the Kfir,but still, never seen any evidence of this one.

Scooterman:
62-12200 was the only canard Rhino.  Looks hot IMHO.  Been wanting to model this machine for awhile but she's quite the mash up.  Thin, fixed slat wings, no front missile bays, I forget what else.

Maverick:
I believe the basic airframe was that of an RF-4C which explains the lack of missile bays for starters.  That said, I've also seen references to an F-4E which wouldn't preclude missile bays.

Regards,

John

Iranian F-14A:
You're both right,in a sense. 62-12200 was an RF-4C,not sure if it was the prototype of it( I have seen it listed as a "YRF-4C"),but it was the prototype F-4E,or YF-4E. The first tests done with an internal M61 were pretty crude,and they used this model,with the gun sticking out of the forward looking camera window right below the radome. Obviously the production models had a better installation,but for the prototype,this was good enough.Because it was orginally built as an RF model,this would explain the lack of foreward missile bays.

apophenia:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on January 16, 2012, 10:52:19 AM ---Alternate Users: Canada being the most obvious for sevral variants

--- End quote ---

And here's one ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version