Modelling > Scenarios

RAAF chooses quanity over quality

<< < (4/5) > >>

M.A.D:
Nice work elmayerle 😯👍

--- Quote ---I could see the Avon-Super Sabres going to tactical roles as the Mirage IIIO's took over interception and other fighter duties.
--- End quote ---

In truth that is another issue I have with the F-100, as a traditional fighter/intercepter, I view it as limited, as likewise I see it as a limited in the tactical fighter-bomber role - range and weapons load...

MAD

GTX_Admin:
I will admit that this has gone off track from the original thread theme - can easily split off if people would like.

--- Quote from: M.A.D on August 09, 2020, 07:48:06 AM ---I'm hearing what you are saying and implying GTX, but it takes away much of the simplicity and envisaged cost savings of utilising an already existing proportion of the existing jigs,  skills and the likes of manufacturing that I'm thinking CAC already has in terms of the CA-27

--- End quote ---

You're missing the point of what I was trying to say.  In the scenario I put forward, there would be no Avon Sabre based on the F-86.  Rather the CAC CA-27 would be the CAC/NAA F-100.  Therefore, one would not be adapting existing jigs etc.  Look at the real world timeline I put there:  the CAC Sabre was virtually done in parallel to the F-100.  Therefore, all I have suggested is that CAC does a deal with NAA centred on the F-100 instead in 1951.

Developed, further, this could result in the following:

CA-26 Super Sabre:  Prototype, one built using either J57 or even RR Avon RA.7R.
CA-27 Super Sabre Mk 30:  Production version based on F-100A but powered by the Avon Mk.301 engine - 22 built;
CA-27 Super Sabre Mk 31:  Refined version based upon F-100D but powered by the Avon Mk.302 engine - 20 built and surviving Mk 30s converted to this standard; and
CA-27 SuperSabre Mk 32:  Final production batch with underwing pylons giving AIM-9 and AGM-12 capability - 69 built.

--- Quote from: elmayerle on August 09, 2020, 11:22:05 AM ---Aiflow/fuel flow requirements of the J57 are a touch higher than those of an Avon 300, if I can trust Wikipedia, with slightly higher thrust in both military Power and full afterburner. 
--- End quote ---

Doing a more detailed comparison between the two main engines, we can see that the Avon could be slightly fatter, though much shorter and lighter.  Thus an Avon Super Sabre would still need some re-work (paralleling to a degree - though probably less - the CAC Sabre in the Real world).  The savings in weight especially would be significant with essentially a full tonne removed.  Even allowing some structural changes, this would be significant.

J57-P-23
Diam: 1.016m
Length: 6.25m
Dry Weight: 2345kg
Dry Thrust:  45,372 N (10,200 lbf)
Afterburning Thrust: 71,171N (16,000 lbf)Avon RB.146 Mk.302
Diam: 1.067m
Length: 3.223m
Dry Weight: 1310 kg
Dry Thrust:  56,448 N (12,690 lbf)
Afterburning Thrust: 72,773N (16,360 lbf)

--- Quote from: M.A.D on August 09, 2020, 07:48:06 AM ---but in fact take decades longer to actually mature into fact - eg F-35. They go for known and proven advancement as opposed to car salesman promise and promotions.....

--- End quote ---

The F-35 has had delays without doubt.  Remember though, in its case, Australia and the other partner nations bought in to the development program from the start.  They knew that they were not buying a off-the-shelf platform.  Moreover, the industrial benefits have been significant for Australia's aerospace industry - trust me on this.

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on August 09, 2020, 03:34:01 PM ---In truth that is another issue I have with the F-100...I see it as a limited in the tactical fighter-bomber role - range and weapons load...

--- End quote ---

Compared to what?  As you will see from the table I put up earlier, compared to the CAC Sabre, it out performed in both range and weapons load.

M.A.D:

--- Quote ---I will admit that this has gone off track from the original thread theme - can easily split off if people would like.
--- End quote ---

All good GTX, I concede based on your point and figures. Again, I was just thinking in terms of cost, simplicity and time of entry equated with incremental technological steps.

MAD

Volkodav:
Does it need to be supersonic?

Avon powered, ADEN armed FJ-4B for the RAAF and RAN FAA?

Yes i know the F-100 was higher performance but the Fury is sexier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version