Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Profile Requests

<< < (24/33) > >>

apophenia:
Glad that the Project 41 Quad Mount stuff was useful. That Project 48 6x6 was an interesting adaptation with very advanced 'body work' for those years. With a little development, it would have been a good combat support vehicle (being lower and potentially more tractable than the 4x4 CMP while quieter-running than the Universal Carrier).

My sense is that the poor overseas assessment of the 6x6 sprang from the usual cast of reasons:

1 - In their urgency to contribute to the war effort, the ATDB jumped the gun (no pun intended) and sent undeveloped prototype conversion gun tractors to the UK for testing;

2 - The British Army was already anticipating domestic designs to their own specs (and, from experience, Whitehall will have known that it would end up funding further Project 48 development);

3 - First Canadian Army strongly favoured British- or US-built equipment ... so we can add in the usual colonial neurotic self-loathing here  :P

Another thought is about RW access to the Thornton rear bogies. As Canadian distributor, these would have been the go-to for H.V. Welles. The question is: Was there surplus US capacity for these units?

Of course, none this need be of any concern for What-If. Eg: replacement bogies could have been designed. John Inglis might have offered the entire Project 41 Quad Mount engineering for sale overseas after WW2. Eg: if Australia bought the project, it might have been redesigned for a modern chassis instead of that obsolete Ford 4x6. Heaps of potential follow-on development there  :smiley:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on July 20, 2021, 11:03:22 AM ---... Hope you and your family are well Stephen during these crazy times!

--- End quote ---

Cheers Rob. All is well here ... although we're swamped with tourists on "essential travel" trips  :o   I trust that you and yours are well too!

raafif:
Need a clean profile of the twin-tail Martin Mars prototype to do a profile in FD scale (Shipbucket format).

I already have the single-fin version.

thanks Raafif.

robunos:

This any good to you ? From 'Naval fighters' 29 Martin Mars, page 13.

cheers,
Robin.

raafif:

--- Quote from: robunos on January 17, 2022, 11:30:35 PM ---
This any good to you ? From 'Naval fighters' 29 Martin Mars, page 13.

cheers,
Robin.

--- End quote ---

Hi Robin,
From 'Naval fighters 29 Martin Mars' ..... never thought of a large flyingboat as a "fighter" :o Mind starting to boggle.

Thanks, it may be too inaccurate for my purpose but I'll give that a try.
regards ray

robunos:

--- Quote from: raafif on January 19, 2022, 08:03:00 AM ---
Hi Robin,
From 'Naval fighters 29 Martin Mars' ..... never thought of a large flyingboat as a "fighter" :o Mind starting to boggle.

Thanks, it may be too inaccurate for my purpose but I'll give that a try.
regards ray

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the early ones were about the Us Navy's fighter aircraft, but the scope of the series was expanded . . .
Before you try the one I posted, have a look here

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/sww2/pb2m/

cheers,
Robin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version