Modelling > Land

MOWAG Piranha, LAV, LAV II, LAV III/Stryker ICV vehicles

<< < (2/21) > >>

Old Wombat:
A couple of early shots.

OK, so maybe that is "a few".

Sorry it's taking so long but;
1) life keeps interfering;
2) much of the work has been thinking about & scratch building internal fittings, equipment & the linkage system (which is fully flexible!); and
3) I'm slow at the best of times!

Main thing to remember about this is that it is really only designed for supplying, perhaps, company level down with immediate battlefield logistics requirements (food, ammo, etc.)
The rear unit on this build is a "caboose" or "guard-van" unit with minimal carrying capacity. The main cargo units are about the same length but only have side access for the forklift (carried in the "caboose") to remove palletised loads from a flatbed unit (possibly with some under-bed carrying capacity).

If I can ever afford another couple of Strykers, then I might give the cargo unit a go.

Cheers

Guy :)

ChernayaAkula:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 25, 2012, 02:52:18 PM ---<...> makes me wonder if it would be worth while to find one of those Star Wars AT-AT things and kit bash it with the Stryker so it can have some legs :) <...>

--- End quote ---

I like your thinking!  :)

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Old Wombat on October 26, 2012, 08:40:41 AM ---A couple of early shots.

<snip>

Main thing to remember about this is that it is really only designed for supplying, perhaps, company level down with immediate battlefield logistics requirements (food, ammo, etc.)
The rear unit on this build is a "caboose" or "guard-van" unit with minimal carrying capacity. The main cargo units are about the same length but only have side access for the forklift (carried in the "caboose") to remove palletised loads from a flatbed unit (possibly with some under-bed carrying capacity).

If I can ever afford another couple of Strykers, then I might give the cargo unit a go.
--- End quote ---

Wow!  That is nothing like I had imagined Guy.  Actually a lot more involved than anything I was planning.  I like your idea of an armoured tractor unit pulling the armoured trailer.  I do hope you can acquire the additional Stryker kits but in the interim, have you considered scrapping a couple of the less expensive LAV kits from ESCI/AMT-Ertl, or Italeri?  They are getting quite cheap around here at the shows and for a load carrying trailer it would give you a break on your wallet. 

--- Quote from: Mark Aldrich on October 25, 2012, 08:22:31 PM ---If you are planning a ATAT/Stryker, you might want to consider using the MGS as a starting point!  Has a nice turret and 105mm gun.
--- End quote ---

Way out of my zone of comfort to kit bash an AT-AT with anything  :)   I added that comment as it was the first impression I got upon seeing that long-nose thing and it certainly does look like it at first glance. 

I recently picked up a couple of the AFV Club MGS kits and was amazed at the number of tiny parts included, methinks an illuminated magnifying device will be needed sooner than I planned. 

apophenia:
Looking good Guy!

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 25, 2012, 12:46:09 PM ---Did I miss any?

--- End quote ---

Well there's the now-abandoned  Piranha IV and the new Piranha 5, if that's what you meant. The latter includes an IFV for Canada's Close Combat Vehicle project.

BTW, GM Defense's London, ON plant did work on a RW 'pick-up' version of the LAV II, FWIW. AFAIK, the object was to create something akin to modular Boxer rather than an open-backed logistics type.

Old Wombat:
Pic's taken today.

Prime mover - crew space:

Commanders weapons control unit:

Inside top, not very exciting:

(Note the anti-spalling mat on the side wall & the air-con unit on the ceiling.)

Linkage:

(You have no idea how much time I've spent finding the right parts for this. Eventually 1 x novelty biro top + 1 x toy fairy wand supplied the parts.)

Crew's survival vests (in case they need to bail out in hostile territory):

Now, how do I fit them AND 3 crewmen in here?

(Actually, I'm pretty sure I know how I'm doing this but one of the vests is probably not going to be visible.)

Questions or comments welcome.

Cheers

Guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version