Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Twinned Engines

<< < (2/3) > >>

simmie:
Ah yes I know what you mean there Empty old boy (as this is a forum for gentlemen!),  but I think I was looking at it from a BMW 803 point of view.  Again a case of "Late Night-itous".

Empty Handed:
You would probably have severe difficulty cooling the aft-most cylinders (hence the Brabazon's somewhat bizarre installation) but you could always go for liquid-cooling like the Jumo 222 or Lycoming R-7755.

I've always liked the idea of a bypass duct (like modern turbofans) to get cooling air to the back rows.

simmie:
A thought occurs......

A De Havilland Mosquito with twinned Merlin in the fuselage driving a contra-prop on the nose!! a la He-119

I have a funny feeling that the centre engine bit is familiar, has someone done that already??

Or

A Spitifire with tandem Merlins for an attempt on the World Air Speed record

GTX_Admin:
Bah!  Let's get serious:  twinned Pratt & Whitney R-4360s...cooled with a fine mist of fire retardant...

jcf:
The Vega Starliner had a coupled powerplant - two Menasco air-cooled inline 6 cylinders driving
a single prop.

The MC72 used the FIAT AS-6.

The Fairey Prince and Monarch were also true twinned engines.

The Napier-Halford Rapier, Dagger and Sabre were basically two flat engines mounted to a common gearcase, all three types had a separate crankshaft for each 'engine'. Ditto the R-R Eagle.

As to improving the cooling of the aft cylinders.

After problems with the original installation the cooling air for the Armstrong-Siddeley Deerhound radial was taken in at the front by an under engine scoop and was then conducted across the cylinders from back to front. The engine was test flown on an A S Whitley.

The D-H Gipsy 12/Gipsy King inverted V-12 air-cooled engines of the DH.92 Albatross were cooled by air
taken in at the leading edge of he wing that was then ducted forward over the cylinders to exit out the bottom of the cowling behind the propeller.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version