Modelling > Land

Japanese tanks and related

<< < (4/6) > >>

Story:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 01, 2022, 01:01:02 AM ---
The Type 74 was considered a very strong contender originally and was recommended for further trials until they received the full technical details and discovered that it had been designed around a max crewman height of 1.68 , considerably shorter than many Australian crew.  the internal volume was also comparatively small.

--- End quote ---

New Zealand should have fielded a Battalion of them then, what with the preponderance of Hobbits they've got.

Story:
A well-done 'shopped image that should inspire imaginative settings.

GTX_Admin:
 :smiley:

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on February 01, 2022, 01:01:02 AM ---Ah, that's where:

The Type 74 was considered a very strong contender originally and was recommended for further trials until they received the full technical details and discovered that it had been designed around a max crewman height of 1.68 , considerably shorter than many Australian crew.  the internal volume was also comparatively small.

--- End quote ---

The knowledge that Australia initial looked at the Type 74 derives some interesting questions in itself.....
1/I'm under the impression that, until very recently, Japan could not export arms;

2/I would be interested to know how much a Type 74 would have cost, given that Japanese indigenous weapons/platforms are inherently expensive...

3/When compared to other second-generation MBTs, the Type 74 has more armour than a Leopard 1 (122mm and 140mm),

4/You just can't beat, let alone match the Leopard 1-based support vehicle range....

MAD

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on September 06, 2022, 09:06:52 AM ---1/I'm under the impression that, until very recently, Japan could not export arms;

--- End quote ---

I am sure they would have found away around this.  In fact if you look at the Japanese Arms Export Ban, its basis was the Three Principles on Arms Exports which actually stated that arms exports were not allowed to go to:

* Communist bloc countries
* Countries involved in or likely to be involved in international conflicts
* Countries under arms exports embargo under United Nations Security Council resolutions
Which wouldn't have applied to Australia.

--- Quote from: M.A.D on September 06, 2022, 09:06:52 AM ---2/I would be interested to know how much a Type 74 would have cost, given that Japanese indigenous weapons/platforms are inherently expensive...

--- End quote ---

350-400 Million Yen (~3.2 - 3.6 Million USD) each is the reported unit price

--- Quote from: M.A.D on September 06, 2022, 09:06:52 AM ---3/When compared to other second-generation MBTs, the Type 74 has more armour than a Leopard 1 (122mm and 140mm),

--- End quote ---

But is slower, remembering that the philosophy behind the Leo 1 was more towards speed and mobility than heavy armour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version