Current and Finished Projects > Stories

Intruders and Electric Jets

<< < (2/2)

GTX_Admin:
Doh!!  Fixed

Buzzbomb:
If you could not have the Buccaneer, you may as well have the next best thing the A-6

M.A.D:
Wow, my apologies GTX and Apophenia, I some how and regretably missed this when you originally posted it 😯😔.

Interesting back story and beautiful profiles!!

I have to agree with you GTX re the A-6 would have made a far better interim stepping stone for the RAAF going from the Canberra to the F-111 than the F-4E.. For as much as I'm a fan of the F-4E and would love to have seen it in RAAF service, I think, and I could be wrong, the F-4E being somewhat of a distraction to the RAAF and the pilots that flew them whilst they were leased. I'd imagine, although intended as a preliminary strike platform, I would think it's capabilities as a air superiority fighter/interceptor would have not just enthralled RAAF pilots, but also emphasised the shortcomings of the then RAAF's primary fighter/interceptor- the Mirage IIIO....

P.S. Apophenia, is there any chance you could put an AGM-78 Standard or AGM-45 Shrike ARM under the wing of that EF-111C?

MAD

apophenia:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2024, 11:24:26 AM ---... P.S. Apophenia, is there any chance you could put an AGM-78 Standard or AGM-45 Shrike ARM under the wing of that EF-111C?

--- End quote ---

I could ... but there wouldn't be much point.

The 'Spark Vark' never carried ordnance - wing pylons were almost never fitted and the original weapons bay was stripped. More to the point, the EF-111C lacked the Wild Weasels' AN/APR-38 system. And, without all those RHWR receivers/antennae, your ARMs aren't going anywhere useful.

If you're thinking of a RAAF whif, maybe more useful to go with one of the anti-radiation Phantoms?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version