Modelling > Aero-space

V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor

(1/5) > >>

The Big Gimper:

Navy Buys First V-22 CODs,  CMV-22, as Part of $4.2B Award to Bell-Boeing. 39 have been ordered.

https://news.usni.org/2018/07/02/navy-awards-bell-boeing-4-2-billion-contract-modification-for-74-v-22-osprey-tiltrotor-aircraft

Jeffry Fontaine:
It is about time to have a separate topic/folder on just the V-22 Osprey.  What better way to kick it off by having Carl's (TheBigGimper) post be the OP for this discussion of all things related to the V-22 Osprey and variations on that theme. 

A long time coming and separating all of the V-22 Osprey portions from the Tilt-Rotor topic proved to be on par with impossible or close to sorting fly bits from pepper. 

I am curious to learn more about this COD variant and how well it will work for this mission.  I am aware that there are some limitations on what it can carry but it will certainly make COD to the LHA and LHD class amphibious assault ships a possibility. 

elmayerle:
One of the biggest aspects is extended range relative to the MV-22B and CV-22B.  Bell has managed to add additional tankage in the wing so you get more range without added drag (you don't want to see the concepts that were discarded).  Now, if some of the other proposals get accepted, there could be further growth in all variants.

If you really wanted an "out there" Mid-Life Update, go with a new wing and nacelle structure derived from that of the V280, once that has been proven through testing.  Such a change could open up several avenues for further V-22 development.  Since the overall wing and nacelle assembly is attached to the fuselage as one, it would be reasonably possible to do something like that.

The Big Gimper:
First Spy photo of the CMV-22.

kitnut617:
I was reading over on SPF, in the HMS Q.E.II & P.o.W thread, they were testing USMC V-22's landing and taking off from Q.E.II (there's some photos of them)  A poster had attached a link which said that the RN had no plans on buying the V-22, but that the reason for the testing was because USMC V-22's would be used for COD operations because it could carry and deliver a F-35B engine should one be needed.  I'm assuming that it would be the CMV-22 being used for that purpose.

Now I had always wonder about the size of the V-22's cabin, you can't get any vehicles into it except some specially designed ones. But now the note about it able to carry a F135 engine, things begin to come clearer --

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version