Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130103 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #375 on: October 06, 2021, 09:49:04 PM »
I was surprised at how large the Strv-103 is. I was expecting something around M113 Lynx (I don't know why - I knew about the 105mm gun), but its actually closer in footprint to Leopard 1 than a 113.

The Strv-103 was considered an MBT but was a bit small for an MBT.

Here is my Trumpeter Strv-103 side by side with a Hobby Boss Leopard 2A5/A6. If you align the Strv-103 with the external fuel tanks to the back of the Leopard, the hull is pretty close to the same length as the Leopard.

Here it is side by side with a Tamiya M1025.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2021, 01:07:56 AM »
Yeah! I was really not prepared for the size of it, the width especially.

I put a LAV-25 turret on it, and it looks like the guy from Beetlejuice.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2021, 01:54:01 AM »
Yeah! I was really not prepared for the size of it, the width especially.

I put a LAV-25 turret on it, and it looks like the guy from Beetlejuice.

Cool! Did you post it somewhere? I would like to see it with the LAV-25 turret on it.

I was going to use the AFV YPR turret on mine but it looked real goofy so went with the RWS instead.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #378 on: October 17, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
Here is the latest iteration of my what if. This is the final design what I am going with. HAHAHAHA! That's what I keep saying but keep changing it HAHAHAHA! Anyway, this is it though. I am running out of sheet plastic so can't change it anymore. I already ran out of the thicker sheet plastic and had to use the thinner one and double up on it to get a decent thickness so the upper hull doesn't sag. As you can see, the new sheet plastic upper hull is just taped on. It needs a bit of refining to fit properly before it gets glued permanently.

I used the Hobby Boss 1/35 ZTL-11 body, Revell 1/35 SPz Puma unmanned turret and an AFV M151 RWS.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #379 on: October 17, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »
So-o, who would the operator be? ::)

A country formerly under the influence of China but now under the influence of NATO? :-\

Iran? ??? ...................................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #380 on: October 17, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
So-o, who would the operator be? ::)

A country formerly under the influence of China but now under the influence of NATO? :-\

Iran? ??? ...................................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Operators would be Earth Federation Forces. I am just doing this as a futuristic AFV and is purely fictional and not based on any specific country.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
'Twas a joke. ;)

I know you tend not to build to a country but Chines vehicle, German turret & main gun, US RWS ... I couldn't help my self. :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2021, 03:11:48 AM »
'Twas a joke. ;)

I know you tend not to build to a country but Chines vehicle, German turret & main gun, US RWS ... I couldn't help my self. :D

I like to mix and match to what looks good to me. The thing about what if is that I can do whatever but it still needs to be functional. My what if builds might not make sense with the mixing and matching of NATO type weapons with Russian or Chinese weapons but as long as it looks good to me I will make it work.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2021, 03:16:42 AM »
Test fitting the Hobby Boss kit tires to see how it sits. The tires look a bit skinny though. Some fatter tires would look better but I don't have any in my stash so I will just use the kit tires. Still a long way to go before finishing.

Size comparison with a Tamiya HMMWV.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2021, 04:56:24 AM »
these builds always appear to offer up some pleasing alternative looks :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
these builds always appear to offer up some pleasing alternative looks :smiley:

Thanks! I haven't gotten anything done lately since my last post. The Hobby Boss ZTL-11 what if is on hold as I changed my mind on the turret once again. Still trying to decide if I want to go with the original turret moved back or the Puma turret. I am leaning more towards the original turret though, again.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:20 PM »
 Been a while since I last updated but that is because I changed my mind on the Hobby Boss ZTL-11 what if. It is on hold as I am still trying to decide if I want to go with the original turret moved back or use the Puma turret shown in the last post. I am leaning more towards the original turret though, again.

Anyway, in the mean time, I have the Italeri/Zvezda 1/35 HUMMER Avenger kit I got a few months ago. It was brand new sealed in the box.

Once I opened it I noticed quite a few parts were badly warped. The worst parts were the hood and main body. Other parts were warped too but not nearly as bad though. Being warped wasn't the only thing wrong with them, they were also smaller than they should be as if they shrunk. They were shorter by at least 4mm more than the other Italeri HMMWV kits I have. Anyway, here are what the parts look like.

Jeffry Fontaine was kind enough to test fit his Academy and Italeri kits for me and said that the Academy HMMWV parts should work with some minor adjustments. Luckily, I found an Academy parts tree on Ebay and quickly bought it. Here is the Academy parts tree. After comparing the Italeri and Academy hood and main body parts, they look very similar. Next update I will be fitting the Academy parts to the Italeri chassis. Will see how it works out.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #387 on: November 01, 2021, 04:29:34 PM »
And here was me thinking "IED damage!". :-[

Offline Ramba

« Reply #388 on: November 01, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
And here was me thinking "IED damage!". :-[

Great minds think alike  ;D ;D ;D

I did think of doing it as a destroyed HMMWV and I even mentioned it to Jeffry Fontaine a few weeks ago. My scratch building and weathering skills for that type of project is nonexistent.

Here is an image I was using as reference for a damaged/destroyed HMMWV but no way could I achieve those results with my measly skills.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #389 on: November 01, 2021, 09:49:55 PM »
Comparing the Italeri and Academy parts.

Here are the grills. Academy part on top. The slots for the headlights on the Academy part is thicker than the Italeri part. I don't have the clear parts from Academy so I need to use the Italeri grill where the Italeri clear parts fit correctly.

Here are the Academy and Italeri tailgates. The Academy has AM General printed on it. I don't know when they stopped putting AM General on the tailgates but I will be using the Italeri tailgate as it doesn't have the AM General printed on it.

Here are the Italeri and Academy parts test fitted. The Academy hood and main body sits on the Italeri chassis. I also used the Italeri side body parts, tailgate and windshield frame. I used the Italeri windshield frame as I don't have the Academy clear parts.

Only problem using the Italeri grill on the Academy hood is that the Italeri grill is slightly larger than the Academy part. I will need to file down the inside edges of the Academy hood to fit the Italeri grill. You can also see that the Italeri windshield frame doesn't fit the Academy hood. There is quite a large gap between the hood and frame.

The Italeri rear chassis alignment pins fit the Academy parts but the two forward alignment pins don't align as shown in the photo below. I will fix that by trimming them off and drilling into the chassis in the new location and use some plastic rod to get a better fit.

With the Italeri windshield frame not fitting on the Academy hood correctly, I had to switch the main body sides to the Academy sides to fit the academy windshield frame. You can see now that the gap between the hood and windshield is much tighter. I was originally using the Italeri windshield frame so that I could use the Italeri windshield clear parts that fit but I need to use the Academy windshield frame so it fits the hood correctly. I will need to file down the Italeri clear parts to fit the Academy part. The lights on top of the cross beam will be cut off as the version I am building doesn't have those lights on it.

I will be building something similar to this HMMWV. It is a Marine Force Recon HMMWV used in the opening days of OIF in 2003. This one has the brush guard, raised intake and exhaust. I will be using the brush guard and raised exhaust from the Tamiya M1025 kit. The raised intake will be from the Academy kit.  Notice it also has a toilet seat between the brush guard and grill. I will try to scratch build one but as stated before, my scratch building skills are not that good.

The Marines used different types of HMMWV's with different setups. In this image you can see that it doesn't have the brush guard, the intake is lowered and no raised exhaust either. As stated above, mine will be more like the one above.

I will be using the Legend .50cal and pedestal mount. It is the same pedestal mount I used on the other Italeri M998 HMMWV but that one I used the Live Resin M240 on it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:53:22 PM by Ramba »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2021, 10:21:40 PM »
That SOF Hummer next to the Strv reminds me of a JTF-2 SR/DA Hummer from Afghanistan. Really excellent build and finish.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #391 on: November 01, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »
That SOF Hummer next to the Strv reminds me of a JTF-2 SR/DA Hummer from Afghanistan. Really excellent build and finish.

Thanks! The HMMWV next to the Strv is a Tamiya M1025 with Blast Models BL35052K ASK set and BL35050K Late Weapons Ring set. The rear stowage is resin that I got in a trade from someone but he didn't say which set it was from. This HMMWV was used in Iraq sometime in 2004.

This one is also a Tamiya M1025 converted to an SOF DMV. They were used in both Afghanistan and Iraq but mine will be depicted as used in Afghanistan. I plan to put it on a dio with an Afghan sheep herder. I got this kit already started in a trade. I think he said the DMV conversion set was from Pro Art. I switched out most of the Pro Art stuff for some 3D printed DMV parts from Shapeways. I also used the Blast Models BL35050K Late Weapons Ring set on this one. The Mk.19 and M240 are from Legend though. The wheels are from Panzer Art. The stowage is resin and again, got it from a friend. I think he said it was from Black Dog. The ammo storage on the weapons ring is scratch built.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #392 on: November 05, 2021, 12:50:46 AM »
The Argentine TAM is one of my favorite tanks but the ones available in 1/35 are way too expensive for me. So, I am combining my Tamiya 1/35 Marder 1A2 with the turret from the Hobby Boss PTL-02. My kit bash will be a what if though, not the actual TAM. I have to heavily modify the PTL-02 turret though. I am cutting off the front of the turret and scratch building a mantlet similar to the one on the TAM. The Leopard 1A4 has a similar mantlet but I unfortunately gave away my Tamiya Leopard 1A4 kit to a friend so I have to scratch build the mantlet. The TAM uses a 105mm gun and I don't have in any in my stash either so I will be using the 120mm gun barrel from the Academy Merkava Mk.III. I could always buy a metal or resin 105mm barrel but I don't want to waste money buying a new gun barrel when I have the 120mm barrel sitting in the stash.

Some reference photos of the Argentine TAM. Again, mine won't be a TAM. It will be a what if but based off the TAM.

Here is the Tamiya Marder kit I will be using.

This is the Hobby Boss PTL-02. I am using the turret from this kit to put on the Marder.

Here is the Hobby Boss PTL-02 turret.

This is the 120mm barrel from the Academy Merkava Mk.III.

Hobby Boss German Leopard 2 A5/A6 smoke grenades will be used on the side of the PTL-02 turret.

Front of the PTL-02 turret removed in preparation to fit the scratch built mantlet. Got some sheet plastic strips ready to measure and cut to make the mantlet.

I will have to remove part of the upper hull on the Marder to make a new upper hull out of sheet plastic. The parts squared off in white has to be removed.

The turret ring is huge. There should be enough surface on the new sheet plastic  upper hull to fit that turret ring.

Started fitting the new scratch built mantlet to the turret. I still need to cut the hole for the barrel. The mantlet won't be glued flush to the turret, I taped it on for now just to test fit it. There will be a gap as in the real mantlet but I haven't found a way to attach the new mantlet to the turret just yet to leave the gap.

Turret test fitted to the Marder. As you can see, I didn't replace the upper hull on the Marder yet. I ran out of the thicker 1mm sheet plastic. It is on order and just waiting for it to arrive.

Offline Silverfox

« Reply #393 on: November 05, 2021, 01:04:06 AM »
I like where this is going. The TAM is a good looking vehicle, and I like your approach to making your own version of it too.
Impressive work on the scratchbuilding so far as well!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #394 on: November 05, 2021, 01:38:11 AM »
Looking forward to this.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #395 on: November 05, 2021, 02:37:21 AM »
This will be good! The TAM is a nice looking tank.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #396 on: November 05, 2021, 04:02:48 AM »
I like where this is going. The TAM is a good looking vehicle, and I like your approach to making your own version of it too.

Me too! I love the idea of a 'TAM NG'  :smiley:

But does the fact that you're using the Hobby Boss MWA 'fog throwers' suggest that this will be a Bundeswehr vehicle? If so, maybe also add track covers akin to a scaled-down version of the later-style Leopard 2A5 schwere Kettenblende?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #397 on: November 05, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
 8) :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2021, 11:30:50 PM »
Looking forward to this.
This will be good! The TAM is a nice looking tank.

Me too! I love the idea of a 'TAM NG'  :smiley:

But does the fact that you're using the Hobby Boss MWA 'fog throwers' suggest that this will be a Bundeswehr vehicle? If so, maybe also add track covers akin to a scaled-down version of the later-style Leopard 2A5 schwere Kettenblende?
8) :smiley:

Thanks everyone! It is unfortunately on hold for now as I am still waiting on the Evergreen 1mm sheet plastic to arrive. They should be here by next week.  I also ordered two L7 105mm thermal sleeve barrels and they won't be here for a few weeks. I ordered the 105mm barrels because I test fitted the 120mm barrels and didn't like the way they looked so I will go with the 105mm barrels. Even though the Hobby Boss PTL-02 and ZTL-11 kits both have 105mm barrels, they aren't that nice. The L7 thermal sleeve barrels look much nicer.

They are made by Perfect Scale Modellbau. Here are the ones I ordered. I ordered two different ones as the place I ordered them from only had one of each in stock. One barrel is going on the Marder what if and the other barrel will be used on the ZTL-11 what if.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2021, 11:49:04 PM »
While I wait for the Evergreen sheet plastic and 105mm barrels to arrive, I am reworking the ZTL-11 what if. As you already know, I fitted the Revell SPz Puma turret and said it was the final design but I changed my mind yet again. I am going back to the original ZTL-11 turret but modifying it. The original turret is blocky and I wanted something a bit sleeker. Well, Norinco of China did put a sleeker turret on the ST-1 tank destroyer which is based on the ZTL body and moved the turret further aft on the hull which is what I also did with my what if. My plan is to modify the original ZTL-11 turret to look similar to the ST-1 turret.

Here is the ST-1 Tank Destroyer with the new sleeker turret. This is the turret I am hoping to make mine to look somewhat similar. The smoke grenade launchers are different on this turret and luckily, I already have a set of spare ones from the Hobby Boss PTL-02 turret that are exactly the same as seen on the ST-1 turret.

Here you can see the original blocky ZTL-11 turret.

Here is the Hobby Boss ZTL-11 with the original turret but moved further aft.

Here is the ZTL-11 turret with the front removed.

Here it is with some scraps of sheet plastic that will eventually be made into the new sleeker front section. Test fitting the sheet plastic to measure and then cut to shape. This turret doesn't have the same type of mantlet as the other turret I am doing so this one will be a bit easier I hope.