Modelling > Sea

Submarine Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/31) > >>

Cliffy B:
Nimrod MRs would lend themselves nicely as well.  Invert and you have some nice saddle tanks.

Geoff:
How about a Type XXI with extended sail and 2 vertical launch tubes for SLBMs not totally dissimilar to the Soviet Zulu V?

Cue scots accent
"We will sit off their cities and listen to their jazz music while we conduct missile drills!"
With appologies to "Hunt for Red October" fans

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: Geoff on July 07, 2012, 02:16:21 AM ---How about a Type XXI with extended sail and 2 vertical launch tubes for SLBMs not totally dissimilar to the Soviet Zulu V?

Cue scots accent
"We will sit off their cities and listen to their jazz music while we conduct missile drills!"
With appologies to "Hunt for Red October" fans

--- End quote ---

It is a great idea - I have thought along similar lines (using either the Zulu or Golf class as a basis).  Have developments of the V-2 as the missiles.

Of course, in such a case, wouldn't the accent be more Germanish:

"Vee vill sit off their cities and listen to their jazz music while vee conduct missile drills!"  - apologies to everyone!!!

GTX_Admin:
Of course on another tangent, one could go for a Type XXI development mirroring the Whisky Twin Cylinders using V-1 developments:

Jeffry Fontaine:
My attempts into this area have been quite tame.  I explored the utility of 1/700 scale submarine hulls and discovered that I would have been better off with using drop tanks from larger scale aircraft as a primary hull due to the small size.  The bonus is that I now have a couple of very large torpedo shapes that could find their way on to a larger scale aircraft. 

Using 1/350th scale hulls of the Kilo SS to try and come up with a submersible of similar dimensions to the old Royal Navy X-Craft mini-submarines proved to be more practical.  Using only the top halves of two Kilos glued together to get a more angular shape in cross-section it could become something practical in 1/72nd or 1/144th scale.  Though the same attempt with a 1/350th scale HMS Astute led to a less than spectacular achievement thanks to the soft plastic and extreme warpage of the hull parts.  The resulting longer hull did have some potential as a possible what-if swimmer delivery vehicle/mini-submarine if I can find the time and effort to pursue that to completion. 

One good thing that resulted from this was an increase in Brian's airship fleet when he was able to use the discarded lower hull sections to build two airships models of which one was shared here on the forum while the other I believe is still under construction. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version