Modelling > Aero-space

F-16 Inspirations & Ideas

(1/70) > >>

dy031101:
The good, the bad (as in badass), and the ugly......

I figured that I'm not the first one to imagine a F-16 armed with weapons not built with US- or Western-related technologies, but this came back to my mind just this afternoon.

Russia used to advertise an "Adjutant" system intended for non-Russian-made aircraft.  It is designed to provide illumination and command guidance for the Russian-made R-27 as well as R-77 missiles and is centred upon the "Epaulet" micro-AESA radar.  I wonder if it can also be used to cue the R-73 WVRAAM......

The Epaulet itself seems pretty small (at least as far as a single radar component goes although I couldn't find its exact size) with an antenna having just 68 transmit-receive modules and weighing just 5kg.  A single set can scan ±45°, azimuth and elevation.

The question is...... how many would I need on a F-16...... and where I can put it/them.  I'm currently thinking two, one at either side of the nose (behind the radome and, in terms of the port side of the ADF variant, where the searchlight would be) or chin intake.  Might need sizeable fairings for the antennae so that the arrays can be angled to scan areas directly ahead, too.

Does anyone have suggestions?

elmayerle:
Building on that "bad-ass" one, the same fit, possibly with a HTP or LANTRIN fit, on a F-16F or derivative thereof.

An F-2B-Kai with the full dorsal spine for avionics, an upgraded F110 (same as the F-16E/F) and this kit.

Both, of course, having the enhance RHAW fit of the BLock 50/52+ F-16s.

Other potential "invisible" mods would be an OBOGS instl (fun, that one, did the retrofit kit for USAF Block 50/52 aircraft without it) and, for the F-2B-Kai, either an AESA version of the Japanese radar fitted or a suitable choice from what's available as retrofit options (and there are several).

dy031101:
I thought the F-16I might have some inspirations on possible Epaulet radar mounting option on the nose......

The intake-sides seem to allow for quite a bit of room, too, without interfering with ground attack sensor pod carriage, however.

GTX_Admin:
Something simple...a Armée de l'Air F-16. 8)

Maverick:
Something that should have been... RNZAF.

Regards,

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version