Modelling > Sea

Aircraft Carrier Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (80/80)

raafif:
Boeing AN-1 was a undersea transport & launch platform using modified (folding wing + boosters) F-102s.

dy031101:
Recently I've been toying with the idea of jet-capable ships based on RP1's drawing and the attachment at bottom.

Excerpt from RP1's note on her drawing:

--- Quote ---I think that, if room is left for workshops (i.e. the aircraft can be supported, not just operated), then it is possible to fit 5 * 583V and 1 * Sea King in the hangar, or 5 * Sea Harrier in the hangar, or  6 * VJ-101 in the hangar.  In the latter two the SK would have to stay on deck...... some shuffling would be needed to maintain operations......
--- End quote ---

I thus took the aft half of Chakri Naruebet as a starting point, but with Yak-141 in mind:

The starting size is about 134.5 ft x 78 ft (excluding the elevator).  It will be enlarged as I wish to incorporate at least one helicopter into the accommodation rather than keeping it on the flight deck.  Due to my lack of imaginations, though, I have two questions:

1. How much of extra space should I set aside for workshops?  The scope of flight operations for the fighters is confined to going after maritime patrol aircraft.

2. Do you see aircraft-shuffling doable (since, as with RP1 regarding her drawing, there is only one elevator and the Yak-141 fortunately has folding wings)?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. YoKai:

--- Quote from: The Big Gimper on July 23, 2022, 02:21:40 AM ---Via Twitter.
Builder unknown.
Raw URL: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYJ8z3XVUAINBur?format=jpg&name=900x900

--- End quote ---

Well, the early version of Blue Noah... (An early anime knock-off of the much better known Space Cruiser Yamato)

Blue Noah by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

GTX_Admin:
Interesting article:  Aircraft Carriers With Rubber Decks Were A Bad Idea

Mind you, can you imagine the whiff possibilities if it went ahead in a major way - F-4s, F-14s etc belly landings...

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: raafif on September 30, 2022, 07:56:37 AM ---Boeing AN-1 was a undersea transport & launch platform using modified (folding wing + boosters) F-102s.

--- End quote ---
AFAIK, AN-1 was intended to launch Navaho intercontinental cruise missiles.  I could see the Navaho upper stage replaced by a manned aircraft,though that aircraft would have to recover on land or ditch at sea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version