Modelling > Sea

Aircraft Carrier Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (73/80) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Think of it as the Daddy of the WWII CAM ship concept:  It is the Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter was a 58ft flat-bottomed barge towed by another vessel.  They would get up to a certain speed, then with the RNAS Sopwith Camel 2F.1 engine revved up, they would let it rip and hope it made it into the sky! The purpose was to extend the range of the aircraft and they could then be used to intercept enemy Zeppelin bombers. The pilot would then have to ditch the aircraft and await a rescue.

GTX_Admin:
You can see more on these here including some more phots including the good:

and the not so good:

kitnut617:
Interesting link there, there's the remains of one in the harbour of my old home town, Poole. I'm trying to think just exactly where it is too ---

GTX_Admin:

Originally launched as a Saipan-class light aircraft carrier (CVL-49) at the very end of WW2, the USS Wright ended its service days in this weird configuration. Converted into a command ship in 1962 and with its flight deck “festooned” with these huge communications antenna arrays. It could also operate helicopters, as a consolation.

raafif:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on April 22, 2022, 04:17:03 AM ---
Originally launched as a Saipan-class light aircraft carrier (CVL-49) at the very end of WW2, the USS Wright ended its service days in this weird configuration. Converted into a command ship in 1962 and with its flight deck “festooned” with these huge communications antenna arrays. It could also operate helicopters, as a consolation.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen so many arrester wires !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version