Modelling > Sea

Battleship Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (3/18) > >>

Dr. YoKai:

--- Quote from: Maverick on January 14, 2012, 12:03:08 PM ---Not having naval knowledge, per se, one wonders if a monitor type ship would be a capable design for open water?  I should think that its lower profile would be advantagous compared to a 'normal' ship from a concealment perspective providing one could waterproof the upper structure to prevent swamping.  In reality, it'd be almost like a surfaced submarine, but subs are infamous for low profiles compared to surface ships.

Regards,

John

--- End quote ---

No offense, John, but probably not. What you gain in stealth is lost in much reduced flexibility. From what I've read, the closer a gun is to the water, the harder it is to
 work in any kind of sea. Waterproofing the upper structure will keep the crew dry enough, ( though you might eventually run up against the same problem as a sub-
 running out of air. ) At the height most monitor guns are placed, you'd run into problems with the waves getting in the way.

Now, I could see high angle fire, coupled with something like a towed balloon, possibly being effective, but there you're talking about gun carraige design that doesn't
start showing up much before the end of the Monitor's popularity...

This is all written from considering the American Civil war period monitors- the American monitors of the early 20th Century had their guns mounted a
bit higher, and were capable of much higher elevation than their Civil war ancestors-but as far as I know, they were still intended for relatively calm waters
close to shore-their hulls weren't deep enough for the heavy seas of the open Ocean..

ChernayaAkula:
"Yamato" with a Nelson-style turret layout!  >:D

All big guns forward, making for a small profile when charging the enemy. As Yamamoto Tsunetomo wrote in Hagakure: "The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong."

SOURCE of the original image

GTX_Admin:
what if the Bismarck actually made it back to France after Operation Rheinübung and was able to be repaired.  Options then?  I am thinking that it would have participated in the Channel Dash in early 1942, along with the Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Prinz Eugen.  What other ideas?

Logan Hartke:
The most it could have done is tied up British assets.  The Germans did not accomplish much with their surface fleet in WWII.  Look what happened with the Tirpitz.  I see little reason to expect that they could have done much more with the Bismarck.  Despite the success of the Channel Dash, it was a strategic step back, as the German fleet was essentially voluntarily going back in its pen.  It was admission that they could accomplish little from the coast of France, which was the great fear in the first place.

Had the Bismarck survived, the British would have expended a great amount of effort to neutralize it, which they likely would have accomplished.  I can imagine the British would suffer heavy losses in bombing raids, commando raids, etc against occupied France with the Bismarck in port, but they would have success in the end.

The only thing is that with the Bismarck, the Germans would have been more inclined to "try something" in the Atlantic.  I can see an attempt at another Atlantic raid in the late fall or winter of 1941 after repairs on the capital ships in Brest were completed.  This may have caused some havoc among Allied convoys at worst, but the greatest risk would have been to the German ships themselves.  I really cannot seeing such a stunt ending well for them if attempted (unlikely).

Cheers,

Logan

sequoiaranger:
The year's top sumo wrestler gets the title of "Yokozuna" in Japan. Here is the battleship equivalent:

I have a small (1/2000) model of it half-started somewhere--maybe I will finish it to go with my carrier "Yonaga".

For story and color illustration...

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/yokozu_f.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version