Modelling > Sea

Battleship Ideas and Inspiration

(1/18) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Hi folks,

An area for your Battleship Ideas and Inspiration.

Regards,

Greg

Maverick:
Not having naval knowledge, per se, one wonders if a monitor type ship would be a capable design for open water?  I should think that its lower profile would be advantagous compared to a 'normal' ship from a concealment perspective providing one could waterproof the upper structure to prevent swamping.  In reality, it'd be almost like a surfaced submarine, but subs are infamous for low profiles compared to surface ships.

Regards,

John

Cliffy B:
Oddly enough, the Iowas show up on radar looking like a tugboat and barge thanks to their profile.  The super high bow sticks up and then everything between it and the forward superstructure is masked.  Accidental stealth  8)  Although, a tugboat pulling a barge sighted in the middle of the ocean doing 30 knots..... ;D

elmayerle:
Some of the FACES II mods proposed for the Iowa-class would be interesting.  For grins, same approach applied to the Montana-class or to H.M.S. Vanguard (plausible since the basic hull is derived from the proposed Lion-class and a battlecarrier version of that class was considered)?

sequoiaranger:
Not to pound my own drum, but I have a whole website devoted to naval what-ifs--"Furashita's Fleet":

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/furamain.htm#ijn

...that might provide some inspiration/ideas. I have built a few such ships, in 1/1200 or 1/2000, and one in 1/700 (IJN Scruyu) that I have actually discarded   :icon_nif: for want of room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version