Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

1/72 GAF Albatross MK.I

(1/3) > >>

The Big Gimper:
Folks:

As you may know, I have two modeling related OCD issues:

1. Big wings
2. Tip tanks

So here from my diseased mind here is a future big wing project: The Government Aircraft Factory Albatross MK.I.

The GAF boffins while lying on the beach one day just off Bass Road and while watching the Albatrossi soar high above them thought about the next RAAF project which was a low cost, very long range maritime patrol A/C. They considered an update to the Canso, the Neptune and the Shackleton. 

They all had good characteristics and bad ones. None of them had what the specification was looking for: a 3 to 1 wing to fuselage ratio in order to minimize weight and maximize endurance.

On the way back to work, one of the boffins, Bruce, looked up and recalled the Albatrossi and at the same saw a time B-25 fly over on its way back to RAAF Point Cook. Hmm, what if I took a B-25 fuselage and mated it with larger wings, say a Shackleton.

Okay, it is a little forced but I want to get to my design.

Here we have a Italeri B-25H fuselage matched up with the Frog Shackleton wings. Surprisingly we have a 3 to 1 wing to fuselage ratio. How did that happen? :o

There will be only the inboard engines with a pylon or two. I will replace the solid nose with a glass one. I will need to cover over the right side window as the wing obscures it. I might use bubble windows instead. 

And yes, I still get my tip tanks.   :)

Thoughts?

ChrisF:
I see where it got its name from :D

Diavel:
Crikey, this is gonna be fun
Chris

Frank3k:
It looks a bit like the Tupolev TB-3. Hopefully it won't be as much of a bear to put together as that kit (you may even use less putty!

Dr. YoKai:
 Its a beautiful concept- but what does it do?

( Keep the asymmetrical engine - it looks great. )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version