Current and Finished Projects > Stories

Jackrabbit

<< < (4/16) > >>

GTX_Admin:
I was just about to ask you if there were any updates...

upnorth:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on January 29, 2022, 01:35:48 AM ---I was just about to ask you if there were any updates...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I finally had a chance to get more written. Lot's of other stuff going on in "real life" got in the way for a bit.

upnorth:
August 6, 1962: Cartierville Airport, Quebec, Canada

The roar of a newly built CF-104 Starfighter filled the air as the heat from its engine exhaust disipated the morning mist around it. The pilot manipulated the throttle and the aircraft started taxiing to the end of the runway in preparation for its shakedown flight and acceptance by the RCAF.

While the world at large was gossiping about the death of Marilyn Monroe over the weekend, the buzz in the Canadair hangars was solidly on the changes that Aermacchi might bring to operations now that Canadair was officially the Italian company's subsidiary.

A former Canadair executive:

"The CF-104 line was safe, as Aermacchi had promised it would be, and we were on a hiring surge to get the personnel in place to tool up for and start building the MB-326.

In spite of Aermacchi assurances, there were some people working for us that were difficult to convince that they could carry on with their jobs as if nothing happened. I suppose some people are just that way.

The change of Ownership to Aermacchi had been finalised and we were in the process of tooling up for MB-326 production. The area of the plant that had been intended for CL-41 production would now be home to the MB-326 line.

Aermacchi had made it clear that they wanted us to produce the aircraft for a long term and for export customers as well as the RCAF. With that, we could give some assurance to anyone we hired for the MB-326, that they would have steady work for a decent period of time."

The first five MB-326 to be built by Canadair were assembled from kits provided by Aermacchi. The first of these aircraft took to the air in early November of 1962 with the other four taking their respective first flights within November and December of that year.

GTX_Admin:
Hmmm...I wonder what this development could mean in the longer term?

Would the CF-5 program go ahead?  If yes, would this also provide a reverse flow opportunity for CF-5s to be proposed by Aermacchi for the Aeronautica Militare in Italy?  If not, what might replace it?  Something akin to the MB.326K perhaps?

Eventually would we also see a development of the AMX offered in Canada?  Perhaps the MB-339?

apophenia:
Good questions. On the future of the CF-5 purchase, links between Northrop and Canada seemed to have had to do with the personal relationship between Paul Hellyer (MND 1963-1967) and T.V. Jones (Northrop CEO/Chairman/President). If Hellyer remains in place in this AltHist, so too does the CF-5.

Unless ... Hellyer had briefly supported the call to license-build Spey-power F-4 Phantoms in Canada (for the CF and RN/RAF). Had that gone ahead, one can image the CAF Phantoms needing an upgrade by the mid- to late-'80s. Let's say that the old RB.168 Mk.202s are replaced by a reheated version of the RB.168 Mk.807. That, and Canadair still being owned by Aermacchi, would leave AMX International pushing at an open door in Canada  :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version