Author Topic: Fairey Phantom - a One Wing Biplane.  (Read 2153 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
Fairey Phantom - a One Wing Biplane.
« on: April 22, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »

This model's been finished for a while, but I've only now got round to doing the write-up . . .

Fairey Phantom - a One Wing Biplane.

The Fairey Company were bitterly disappointed to lose the F.20/27 Contract for the RAF's new interceptor fighter in 1929, their Firefly IIM design losing out out to Hawker's Fury, a bitteness somewhat sweetened by an order for 87 Fireflies from the Belgian Air Force, to be built mainly by Fairey's Belgian subsidiary, Avions Fairey.
So, when a new fighter specification, F.7/30, was announced, Fairey's were determined to win the contract, and spared no effort to secure a production order.
Air Ministry Specification F.7/30, was difficult to meet. Issued in October 1931, it  called for a day and night fighter with an armament of four .303-in (7.7-mm) machine guns, a top speed of not less than 195 mph (314 km/hr) at 15,000 ft, a high rate of climb, and a low landing speed. Although the specification did not request the use of the Rolls-Royce Goshawk evaporatively-cooled engine, the Air Ministry informally expressed a strong preference for its use.
Starting with the existing Firefly IIM airframe, Fairey's designers and engineers used the latest techniques to modernise and improve it. New, tapered wings were designed, incorporating the steam condensers in their leading edges. The existing V-strut undercarriage was replaced with a cantilever design, with, initially at least, small diameter airwheels covered by spats. During testing, these were replaced by larger, exposed wheels. The original two guns, fitted low down on either side of the cockpit, were supplemented by two more in the upper forward top decking, firing over the engine. This was, of course, a steam-cooled Rols-Royce Goshawk, replacing the original Kestrel.
Following the completion of construction, the prototype, marked with the 'class B' registration 'F6', and named by the company 'Phantom',began company testing. Almost immediately, problems arose with the cooling system. While the steam cooling system worked satisfactorially on ground test rigs, and even in the air, in large bomber and patrol aircraft, to a degree, in a fighter it was hopeless. During manoeuvring flight, the steam andc condensate tended to 'swap places' within the pipework, condensers and engine, leading to vapour locks, and in turn, seized and damaged engines. Indeed, this was to lead to the demise of the prototype Phantom.
Following manoeuvring tests at altitude, a vapour lock caused a pressure rise in the cooling pipework in the starboard wing. A joint subsequently burst, dislodging the adjacent pipe, and fouling and jamming the aileron controls. With no lateral control, the pilot was forced to abandon the aeroplane, and in the resulting crash, the aircraft was destroyed. By now, Fairey's had realised that the Goshawk would never become a successful engine, and so decided not to continue with the Phantom, or F.7/30, as such.
However, every cloud has a silver lining. Because of the delays to the flight testing of F6, Fairey built a second example, powered by a Kestrel, to conduct the remainder of the test programme, F6 concentrating on engine and cooling system testing. The unmarked second prototype came to the attention of the Belgian Air Force, who ordered a batch of 50 to replace Firefly IIMs, powered by Hispano-Suiza HS12Ycrs engines, and entering service as the Feroce.

The inspiration for this build came from the OWB Helldiver that I built, I wanted to use the kit wings on it, but they didn't look right. So when I found  the parts for a Revell/Matchbox Hawker Fury fuselage in a supposedly empty kit box, I had my Build.
So, wings, and the wheels, are from a Revell/Matchbox Curtis SBC-4 Helldiver, fuselage and fin from a Revell/Matchbox Hawker Fury, tailplane from the spares box, cut down to size, as is the windscreen, and the propeller is from a Revell/Matchbox Gloster Gladiator. The real-world inspiration came from the Fairey Fantome, crossed with the F.7/30 specification.

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
Re: Fairey Phantom - a One Wing Biplane.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 12:38:52 AM »

looking smart !

making biplanes one-winged is an interesting game  ;)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 03:20:22 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »
Beautiful build! Somehow both dainty and aggressive looking  :smiley:

Of course, we mustn't forget the follow-on Fairey Phantom II. Purists may not care for its retractable main undercart. But the Phantom II's Fairey P.12 Prince was a fine aero-engine never given a proper chance.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
Me Likey . . . Mucho !  :smiley:   ;D

Of course, the picture depicts the prototype Phantom II, as flown, the proposed production version would have had an enclosed canopy, similar to a Gloster Gladiator . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:49:25 AM »
... the proposed production version would have had an enclosed canopy, similar to a Gloster Gladiator . . .

Nice  :smiley:  And maybe some extra guns in the wings?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »
A couple of Lewis guns under the wings, again like a Gladiator, would be appropriate methinks . . .  ;)

cheers,
Robin.