Author Topic: 1/48 CA-30 Macchi 326KA Kangaroo II  (Read 5149 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
1/48 CA-30 Macchi 326KA Kangaroo II
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »
Andrew Doppel from AMI asked me to post this here:

1/48 CA-30 Macchi 326KA Kangaroo II

The year is 1967, and the Vietnam War has been raging along for four years.  At this time the Menzie’s Government has sent a RAAF contingent on a secret trip to Bell Helicopter Co. at Fort Worth in Texas to negotiate the purchasing and building of 10-15 AH-1G Huey Cobras to supplement 75 Bell 206B Kiowas for the Army’s use in Vietnam, should the war be drawn out.  The incumbent Labour government insistent that Australia should withdraw its troops and equipment due to public backlash finds out about this secret trip and advises the Menzie’s led government that it intends to block the deal particularly the Huey Cobra as they deem them to aggressive for Australian purposes.

In the meantime the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation, currently building under licence the CA-30 Aeromacchi 326H offers the Government the opportunity at a reduced rate to build the MB326K Impala to be known in Australia as the 326KA Kangaroo II as it was double the CA-15 Kangeroo’s build number that never went into production.  The heat from the world in relation to South Africa's apartheid meant that the numbers ready for construction for South Africa could be transferred and included in Australian production.  In a quick turn-around the Menzie government decided to take up this offer for 13 production CA-30 Kangaroo IIs and use them in the same fashion as the US military were using their A37 Dragonflies in Vietnam.  This way if the Huey Cobra deal was blockaded by the Labour Party by the time production was to start in 1974, there was still another source available for a reliable ground attack/FAC aircraft.

The production of the single seat CA-30 would bring the total of Macchi 326s to 110 with 97 duel seat trainers for ‘lead in’ or ‘all through’ jet trainer role and 13 single seaters for use in ground attack, forward air control and ground support.

With 76 Squadron's previous an extensive service throughout South East Asia, it was decided that they would be the Squadron to operate the Kangaroo IIs in Vietnam, with 77 Squadron providing the transitional weapons training utilising their 326H models.  They were camouflaged in a similar fashion to the 326H but with the removal of the lower roundel due to the hard point fitting of the rocket launcher and drop tanks with a spare pylon for a single 250lb bomb or marker.  76 Squadron's Mirage IIIOs were to then be withdrawn and distributed amongst the other squadrons, whereby they then took delivery of the 326KA.

Alas, neither the Kangaroo II or the Cobra eventuated but how cool would/could this have been. (Not a true story)

Serial: A7-098
Type: Aeromacchi (Macchi) 326KA (CA-30 Kangaroo II)
Based: Phan Rang Air Base, Vietnam via Williamtown, NSW (Circa 1974)
History: First of the 13 newly acquired 326K ground attack Macchis to assist in war effort in Vietnam.  Produced by CAC.
Kit: 1/48 Italeri 326K Impala (OOB) except for OzMods resin seat.  Decals from Hawkeye, kit and stash
Reference: My imagination

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:00:11 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/48 CA-30 Macchi 326KA Kangaroo II
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Those are some real gems and definitely some of the sweetest Macchis to come down the pike in a while!

The paintwork appears flawless and it's amazing how good this bird looks in 'Roos!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
Beautiful paint job! The single seater looks fantastic.
Andrew should color correct the images; using the white in the roundels as a white reference, the yellow tone is removed and the planes really pop out.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
Ermano Bazzochi would definitely approve!  Beautiful work.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »
WOW that looks amazing!!! The paint job is fantastic and she is actually quite a nice looking plane, well done!

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »
I might try that with one of my new 1/32 versions..

;)

Offline Klown

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
Looks good, would it have been in a SEA scheme though?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
Looks good, would it have been in a SEA scheme though?

The RAAF Canberras serving in South Vietnam weren't.  They were in Grey and Green cam.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
So GTX, this wonderful model was built by Andrew Doppel?

MAD
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:22:49 PM by M.A.D »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 02:11:12 AM »
Yes - why?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »
Yes - why?

Just very impressive and give credit where credit is due.👍

MAD