Author Topic: Antarctic E-100  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Antarctic E-100
« on: April 06, 2021, 02:03:00 AM »
This will be a really straightforward build. Just assembly, paint, and a simple snow scene diorama setting.
DSCF0374 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

I have had this kit for ages, but have been intimidated by the most trivial thing - wrapping the PE muzzle brake baffle around the front of the
gun. We'll see what happens. I got the turret sub assembly started along with the road wheels, and sprayed the whole thing with a red
automotive primer that looks a lot like the shade the Germans were using toward the end. Further progress photos in a few days.

DSCF0372 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

In the meantime, I'm weighing whether to finish an old Frog DH Hornet as box stock, or giving it a 'power egg' Whittle turbine and and annular
tail assembly. (Along with a Blackburn Firebrand, Another E-100, and the Vac Westland Welkin I keep putting off building. Eek.)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Antarctic E-100
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:24 AM »
Cool! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

... but have been intimidated by the most trivial thing - wrapping the PE muzzle brake baffle around the front of the gun...

Worse case scenario, a canvas muzzle brake? Gotta keep all that blowing Antarctic snow outta the barrel, right?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:37:35 AM »
Welcome aboard Doc !

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
Getting close - most of the assembly is complete, and I am a bit torn on finish. It looks really good in the red automotive primer, but I did say I was going to give it a winter scheme.
DSCF0381 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

I will say that the one thing I was most afraid of, messing up the PE 'pepper pot' muzzle brake, went off without a hitch.

DSCF0388 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

There was progress with the Gotha, but I didn't take pictures yet.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
Primer looks good, Craig, but a worn Antarctic scheme will look even better! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 12:11:12 AM »
Primer looks good, Craig, but a worn Antarctic scheme will look even better! :smiley:

I hope so - I did some spraying yesterday afternoon over a hairspray base, and scrubbed on it a bit this morning. It will need some repair
 work first, though - in mounting the tracks I snapped first the left rear idler, and then the right front drive sprocket. Partly on me for being hasty, but he mounting pins are pretty delicate... This is what it looks like at the moment.
DSCF0402 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
What's that going on in the background there? Berlin Brigade camo? Star Trek Aztec?   ;)
The worn white/grey with a little red showing through will look cool!  8)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 02:53:37 PM »
So far, so good, Craig! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
Nice stuff Craig.. like Kerick... the vehicle at the back, looks very interesting, sort of a bit of Ogre/BOLO or more RWwith a Sturmtiger style mortar weapon ?

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 11:21:44 PM »
Nice stuff Craig.. like Kerick... the vehicle at the back, looks very interesting, sort of a bit of Ogre/BOLO or more RWwith a Sturmtiger style mortar weapon ?

How long has it been since you looked at the Guidelines thread?  ;) (Last two posts.)

It's a Dragon Maus*, modified with an extended turret and, yes, a 38 cm RW 61 with not enough vent holes around the breech. It will also
have a pair of 30 mm mk 108s in single turrets sponsoned on either side of the main. I had it started up to the track work, and just went ahead while waiting for permission to post it. Still debating whether to go with a third color over the two-tone grey.

So, anyway, can I add it to the Group build? :D

*And just typing that phrease opens a world of possibilities...

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 06:48:08 AM »
How long has it been since you looked at the Guidelines thread?  ;) (Last two posts.)

Ok, so this is embarrassing  :-[

Yes I can see no reason why the SturmE-100 would not fit (post copied from Guidelines to try and minimise the shame I feel  ;) )

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 07:16:47 AM »
Stone groove! Thanks, I'll have the thread up later tonight or early tomorrow my time.

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 05:47:14 AM »
Shabbier...
DSCF0406 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

I dunno. I like it, but I don't like it, y'know? Still needs a few tiny bits, and a bit more weathering. May build a small dio base for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
All tanks have kit hanging off them, Doc. Even German ones. ;)

It needs tools, helmets, kitbags/backpacks, tarpaulins, etc., strapped onto various strategic locations on the hull & turret. :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
A scheme like that  brings on those "Hmmm do I like it or not like it" moments.

My thoughts.....
I reckon think the environment. No rain, but howling gales flinging ice that would act like a sand blaster (Ice blaster ??)
So the standard rain runs type weathering, would look out of place, but the almost uniformly worn finish you have there is quite feasible.

I would say though that a base to set the environment could enhance the overall look perhaps.
Does anybody make any 1/72 penguins ?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 07:59:23 AM »
I like the well worn paint job. Maybe an Antarctica dry valley base with some ice or snow and a penguin or seal...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
Penguins in 1/72, or even 1/87, HO/OO, may be hard to find & expensive if you can.

This is about all I could find in an admittedly quick search: Airfix HO/OO Zoo Animals #2

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 12:09:03 AM »
 Penguins would be an interesting touch - I may knead up some Aves and sculpt a few six foot tall albinos... :icon_fsm:
 I swear I will never figure out the focus on my camera, though. The base roughed out in styrofoam below. I spent a few minutes this morning slapping some paper mache' over it, and the frigid details will be sculpted over that with Durhams's water putty.
DSCF0426 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 08:07:10 AM »
Love your styrofoam base layout. Heavy armour + heaving ice floes = full-throttle at all time! Oh yeah  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »
 Just about there - I'm still on the fence about adding figures. The base needs a bit of 'splash' where the water meets the ice, and the frame needs
 tidying up, but this should be done by the coming weekend. Thanks for looking in.
 DSCF0446 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

DSCF0445 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 01:22:53 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 09:32:49 PM »
Off the fence and into the Aves - I decided to try sculpting a  Bazooka team from the Royal Madagascar Marines...

DSCF0464 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »
WOH! :icon_surprised:

Penguins are looking awesome, Craig! 8)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 04:38:05 AM »
The ice and water look great! Mighty precarious position for such a heavy tank, though.