Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Don't mix lead and cyanoacrylate (Superglue)

(1/3) > >>

Frank3k:
You learn something new every day.
Not only should you avoid lead exposure (or wear gloves/respirator unless you really want to be a Roman or an inner city child) you don't want to mix lead and CA glue The lead will react with the glue and start expanding, leading to cracks. The link has horrible NSFH (not safe for hobby) pictures.

ChernayaAkula:
Has anyone else had this happen to them? Whenever people are cautioned not to mix lead and CA, it's this article that is shared (have done so myself). But has that reaction happened to anybody else? Lead fishing weights and CA are common modelling materials. Tail-sitting (or prevention thereof) is also a common problem. Surely somebody else must have tried fixing lead weights with a good amount of CA. But it's always this example that's brought up. Wondering whether there were other factors at play here that led - :P - to this unfortunate event. A certain blend of lead? Were other modellers just lucky that the "crystals" had enough room to expand? Just wondering...  ???

finsrin:
Have used CA & lead for nose weight.  Never heard of or seen this.  Guessing quantities were small enough that this issue did not show.

Kerick:
I have used lead and CA in many models and only had one occasion where the combo actually attacked the plastic. The plastic turned brown and became very brittle where the CA touched it. The white powder hasn’t caused a problem for me, so far at least.

Chris:
In the UK and EU (bit early for separating them but got to start sooner or latter) a lot of things we think of as being made from lead, particularly pellets, aren't in fact on environmental and H&S grounds. It is complicated especially when it comes to fishing weights where there are upper and lower weight restrictions on what can be used. So a lot of the time we don't see the reaction because it's not lead we are using.

Not sure where else in the world that applies ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version