Current and Finished Projects > Sea

1/700 Seaplane Tender Dio

(1/4) > >>

Cliffy B:
I need some help deciding on my build.  I'll be whipping up a USN Heavy Cruiser based somewhat on a prelim design for the Alaskas.  She'll have been built at the same time as BB-55 and 56 along with one sister.  I'll be depicting her about 1946-48 in the North Atlantic.  I'm thinking about a split 1945/1950's style layout IE Bofors and twin 3"/50 RFs as a transitional fit as if production was strained.  Think that will lend some visual variety plus I don't have enough 3" mounts for a full fit  ;D

Question, camo?  Should I go for a recent postwar scheme, IE camo but Holystoned wood decks?  Should see be underway, anchored, maybe laying off a beach with guns trained out and landing craft streaking by?

Ideas for whiff floatplanes?  I'm thinking about SC-2s or maybe P-40s, F4Fs, F6Fs, TBDs, etc...  Ideas?  Maybe some visiting FAA birds to add to the variety?

What do you guys think?  Any and all help is appreciated as always.
-Mike

ysi_maniac:
Alaska is just a beauty, imo.  :-*

Floatplane: Love P-40, but what about a float version of A-1? :-*

Empty Handed:
Sounds good!

--- Quote ---Floatplane: Love P-40, but what about a float version of A-1?
--- End quote ---

Nifty! So would that be an ASD-1 (Attack-Scout) or SAD-1 (Scout-Attack) in pre-'62 parlance?

Cliffy B:
Thanks guys!  I'm altering my subject a bit...The CA will go to the back burner as I need to put a lot more thought into her design before I build her.  I'll be making a BB instead, one that was drawn up in the mid 1930's but never left paper.  Same time period and possible the same AA battery disposition as well (might stick will all Bofors, don't know yet). 

Onto the float planes!  I'll be adding 1-2 P-40s (more on their design later but they'll be neat  ;) ) and maybe a Kingfisher/Seahawk for comparison.  Think there will be some visiting FAA machines as well...feel free to guess what they'll be  ;)

I looked at all of our floatplanes from the war and then at the other birds we used and came to the conclusion that only small fighters would make good floatplanes.  None of our floatplanes exceeded about 9-10k lbs.  All of the attack birds were at least twice that if not more.  The P-40 is almost perfectly suited for a USN float plane.  Its dimension's, weight, and range are perfect!  Some others possibilities are Sea Furies, P-47s (probably be BEASTS to handle), F6Fs, F2Gs (gull wing float plane...would it work?).

I want something with some performance but also as much or more range then the stock float planes.  They were horrendously outclassed and basically screwed if that had to dogfight so I want to fix that!  I know the SCs were basically on par or better than P-40s but this is whiff world and I want something different!!!!!!

Look for some profiles of the bird(s) too  ;)

apophenia:
No reason that a Corsair with twin floats wouldn't work. Still, a P-40 with Seamew floats would be a beaut! Maybe re-use the XF13C designation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version