Modelling > Aero-space

Best real world comic book planes

(1/6) > >>

Logan Hartke:
No fantasy planes allowed!

So, what are the best REAL WORLD airplanes for a comic book?  We're talking only real planes for our Bill Barnes/Blackhawk/Talespin/Crimson Skies/Johnny Quest universe?

Savoia-Marchetti S.55
One of the best, the S.55 didn't possess a "normal-looking" angle.  I actually prefer it from above, where you see the cockpit...in the wing!

Couzinet 70
The plane that wishes it was an Oscar Mayer Wiener, that is what it really wants to be.  Honestly, though, some really neat lines for its day.  If you see it from another anglr, you can see its awesome spats, too.

Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk
It can fly from an airship without landing gear!  Enough said.  Crimson Skies come to life.

Gee Bee Super Sportster
So cool, they used two Gee Bees in "The Rocketeer".  This is the ultimate comic book airplane.

Northrop Gamma
I had a diecast model of this growing up.  It looks so cool.  Howard Hughes did some record-setting flights in one of these.  Look at those spats!

Polikarpov I-153
After the war, Polikarpov's designers worked as Disney illustrators for Talespin.  Seriously, the Polikarpov I-15, I-153, and I-16 were great comic book fighters, the I-153 most of all in my opinion.

Seversky SEV-3
Floats on land!  The need to operate anywhere--water, land, whatever--is something that comes up often in comic books.  Seversky understood these needs, although nobody else ever did.

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79
Trimotors always look like they're ready for a comic book, but a sleek trimotor with a hunchback and ventral gun tub REALLY looks the part.  If you doubt it deserves to be here, just look at the tail shape!

Grumman XF5F Skyrocket
This is a bit cheap, since this WAS a comic book plane.  Some would say THE comic book plane.  Blackhawk loved it, so should you.

So, what real world aircraft come to mind for comic book planes?

Cheers,

Logan

AXOR:
Kyushu Shinden-Surely this is my favourite

Alex

jcf:
Lovely choices all, one thing though Logan, the Northrop has 'trousered' gear rather than 'spatted'.

:D

finsrin:
Check out this Russian giant.
What a 1/72 kit it would be !
Even OOB is bashed.

Daryl J.:
These are so unique:

Hayao Miyazaki liked these and put a jet powered butterfly variant of this in Porco Rosso:

The good guys need one of these:

or one of these if they are really tough good guys:

And the slightly more modern bad guys can have these:

The beauty of this ought not to be passed over:

And this one for sheer unique French sizzle:              [Edited for corrected content, thanks Greg]

To get a group of us from here to there in elegant fashion:

Or a couple of us from here to there quickly:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version